Friday, June 13, 2008

THE WORLD OF THE BOOK OF MORMON...

This week has been a bit crazy. I have had a cold now for about three and a half weeks, but on Tuesday morning when I woke up it had decided now was the time to turn into a full blown sinus infection. This wasn't so bad except that I called the doctor's office and they couldn't get me in until Thursday. What was I going to do our Primary activity was on Wednesday. So I prayed really hard to be able to make it through Wed and all the prep work plus the activity and to my amazement the pain wasn't so bad on Wed!! However, came back promptly on Thursday and I was grateful to get some antibiotics. A day later the pressure has eased and I am starting to feel a bit better! Good thing because we have friends coming over tonight to play games in celebration of Friday the 13th!!!

So more on the Primary activity. Months ago when talking to my sister Wendy about Primary she told me that they were doing an activity on the Book of Mormon and Jeff was acting out a part. I thought this was a lovely idea so when time came for us to plan an activity we took the idea and ran with it. I think it turned out so well.



We had three visitors come to our activity and the children (well most of them anyway) came dressed up in Nephite/Lamanite attire leaving all swords at home. The three visitors told us about their lives and then we did a craft. When we got to the room with King Benjamins tower in it the kids got to make their own tents with the doors facing the tower. They then picked a family name and ate a snack of dried fruit and crackers. We then gave each of the children their own copy of the Book of Mormon with a testimony in it from one of the youth. I was so touched when some of the children said, "This is my own copy?" or "I get to keep this?" All in all I think it was a successful activity and hopefully the kids learned something about the Book of Mormon.

MEMORABLE MOMENTS:

THE BROTHER OF JARED
showed us his rocks (the tops of lightbulbs) and how would work shining through his bag (a lightbulb in a flashlight) and had another teacher help him by reading from the scriptures wha tthe Lord had said behind a wall.
ABINIDI
told the kids he was burnt and one of them asked why he was still there? We had to laugh at that one.

KING BENJAMIN

brought gold coins to share his wealth with the people (chocolate coins covered in gold paper) and the kids all ran for them and spilled their cups of water all over the hall. When he started talking it was adorable to see the kids laying down on their stomachs with their chins on their hands listening to what he was saying.

9 comments:

Travis said...

Wow Stace what a fun activity! I guess I will have to remember that for when we need one...I hope you start feeling better.

The Brown Family said...

Stacy, it looks and sounds like your hard work paid off. I'm sure the primary children will remember this activity for years to come. And great costuming, too!

The youth of our stake are currently at youth conference and it is also a Book of Mormon experience. Lee went up tonight for the Bishopric night (andto make sure that our Hillary was doing ok- I always worry!). He said that Christ is scheduled to come at 4:30AM, so Hillary should come home really tired tomorrow!
Love from EM,
Kim

Lisha said...

It was a great idea, well thought out, the kids had a great time, something for them to remember. My boys didn't realise that Bishop was King Benjamin. They really loved receiving their books of Morman. Well done Stacy!

Stacy said...

Well Lisha you had something to do with it also. Thanks for all your help.

Kim - we did that Youth Conference when I was in the YW presidency before the ward split. It was amazing. She will remember it forever!

Carli said...

Thanks for all the prep Stacy. On the way home Mason told me 'I have so much fun, that was the best night ever'. He loved dressing up and deciding who to be and learning. Thank you for your love for the kids.

sirpa said...

Sounds like a great activity Stacy! You're inspired. I couldn't figure out who was who either...

Mari said...

Thanks for all the wonderful work you do down there in Primary! The kids had a great time..

Brandon and Julie said...

sounds like an amazing activity. The kiddos look good. You always do so well with good ideas, you are amazing and the kids will never forget the experience.

Suzi said...

I would have loved to have seen it. Unfortunately we didn't know YM's was cancelled until Steve came back and told me (late as he'd been shooting hoops).

Bishop looks really in character!