Sunday, June 1, 2008

A little more on Vegemite!

I just have to add a little more -- ok, two things -- to the last story that Stace put in on Vegemite.

First, I had gone to the store with Coop, so it was just the two of us. We had gone by the peanut butter section and I saw the Vegemite. I had told everyone that we can't come to Australia and not try vegemite so I put it in the trolly. Cooper, who was sitting in the trolly, saw it and asked what it was. I told him that it was Vegemite and that he was going to try it with the rest of us. Needless to say -- since Cooper is a complainer -- that the rest of the journey through the store and on the way home Cooper thought of 50 ways to tell me that he wasn't about to try the stuff and there was no way it was going to happen.

That night for dinner I pulled it out and spread a little on some crackers for everyone to try. Of course Cooper broke out into his 'country music' lyrics again about reasons why he wasn't going to try it! I finally bribed the kid with a $1 if he would try and and finally got an OK out of him. Here is the picture of his face just after he took a bite. He pauses for a minute (so his brain can assess the message being sent from his taste buds) and then this hit, followed by "I like it!" I just thought this picture caught the moment better that I could attempt to describe in words. Plus, it was even better after hearing how bad it would taste for an hour while we were at the shops! Gotta love our little complainer!

Second, I have come to believe that eating vegemite is an art form! The day after we had tried it I thought I wanted to have another go at it. So I put some on some crackers and started eating away. I think I was feeling gererous because I had liked it so much the night before so I spread a little more on than I did the night before. I will just say that, in my opinion, there is a fine line between just enough vegemite and WAY TO MUCH!!!!! I passed that line on my first cracker and it was NOT GOOD!!!!!

I had to give it another go and see if the night before was just a fluke so -- after a good rinsing out of my mouth -- I spread a little bit on another cracker and thought I would make it a best 2 out of 3 contest. This time it was just a little on the cracker and I did like it. So the moral of the story is that if you are eating vegemite it is better to be on the safe side and get too little than it is to get too much!

3 comments:

Suzi said...

The best way to get used to it is on hot toast with lots of butter and only a bit of vegemite.
We only eat it when we're sick and can't keep anything else down, seems to do the trick :o)

Suzi said...

I mean we eat it on dry crackers when we're sick..

Travis said...

Sounds interesting. I want to try it. You will have to bring some back so we can all give it a taste.