Thursday, November 5, 2009

CROSSROADS

I have been thinking a lot about the crossroads we all come across in our lives. Those defining moments that make us who we are.

I came across this quote by Elder Neal A. Maxwell in the October VT message in the Ensign and it has got me thinking. It reads as follows, "...youth are not unlike prospective converts. There are those critical moments when their souls begin to tilt - toward the Lord or away from Him. These moments of decision cannot always be created, but when they occur, they must not be wasted. More often than not, these moments will occur in quiet and reverent conversations with parents, grandparents, a bishop, an adult leader, or a righteous peer."

This quote got me thinking about a defining moment in my life. A moment where I had to make a decision about which path I was going to travel down. The summer between sixth and seventh grade were tough on me. My best friend since I was about five decided that she didn't want to be my friend anymore. She was going down a different path than I and we were slowly drifting apart. When I entered Jr. High I was friendless, shy, and scared. I struggled through much of my Jr. High years in finding friends and trusting myself. My self esteem took a plunge as this friend ignored me in the halls at school. I soon realized that boys were easier to get along with and many of my friends were more into football than make-up. Still to this day I have a hard time putting myself out there for others to judge me.

Like this quote says from Elder Maxwell I had wonderful young woman's leaders who helped me to figure out who I was. I knew that I had chosen correctly. I knew that the path I was on was the right one for me. I knew through personal experiences that the Lord loved me for who I was. Although it was hard to see this friend make different decisions that would ultimately take her away from the Church for a time, I knew that I was holding to the rod. Life is just hard sometimes. We question our decisions and we hold on tight for the ride.

May we all try hard to be an influence for good in someones life. You never know when that kind word or encouraging smile may help someone who is at a crossroads.

4 comments:

sirpa said...

Thanks for this post Stacy! I've had kinda similar experience in my youth.

Janae said...

All I can say is that I am so glad I am not in my teens again. It is good to know that a lot of other people have experienced this as well. I have spent a lot of time (especially in the last week Ü) wondering and praying about my own kids. What can I do to help them so that when they come to that crossroads they will be prepared?

Brandon and Julie said...

Thank you Stacy, I hvae also been thinking this past week about all of what Janae said. (for the same reasons as well). when the time comes for me or my children to decide will I have prepared myself enough to ask for help, or be the help and support needed. When the spirit is there for those moments will I have been preparing myself to listen. Thank you for this post, you put into words what I had to run to understand.

Dera said...

Trust me when I say that the best thing you can do for your kids is to pray for them and love them with all your heart. Even if they don't make all the choices you would want them to hopefully they will know you love them for who they are and that will get them through the tough times. I think Heavenly Father has to do the same with us sometimes.