Monday, May 11, 2009

SINGING DEBUT

Madi had her singing debut yesterday at Church. She, along with two other girls in our ward, Natasha and Antoi, Sister Brown and I, sang "A Child's Prayer" in sacrament meeting. A few months ago the music coordinator in our ward asked if the Primary would sing in sacrament meeting for Mother's Day. She only wanted a small group and she wanted them to sing "A Child's Prayer." I turned this assignment over to our music leader and she picked the group (I told her that she had to sing with me if she wanted me to sing). Madi and I practiced every day for a week before the big debut. She was so nervous - but excited to sing with her friend Antoi. We had to do her hair all pretty and put rollers in the night before. She did so well and sounded so good.

I on the other hand spend the entire song trying not to cry. Somehow the Spirit and my tear ducts are attached to one another. I can try really hard and not think of the words, picture a dog running in the back of the chapel, or any number of things I have tried it never works. Don't get me wrong I love to sing and I am so happy that I have been blessed with music as my talent, but I get so embarrassed in a new ward when I sing for the first time (I guess this was my debut as well). They don't know my crying and singing history. In fact I don't sing much in Church anymore. I am not sure that most people know that I play the piano and sing at all. Gone are the days when I move into a ward and they give me a calling to play the piano - that hasn't happened for two wards now.

Madi made us so proud of her. She has a good voice and loves music so she may have more performances in her future.

1 comment:

Shelley Fairbanks said...

I Love that song!!! Don't think I could sing it. I can't listen to it without crying, so I can't even imagine singing it, especially in front of people!! What a fun opportunity to sing with your daughter!!! Starting her singing in front of crowds, at an early age, might help her so when she is older (say 33 or so), she won't be too nervous and won't cry while singing (J/K, the Spirit hits you at the most awkward moments). I can't even joke about it, sorry..when I sing in the Ward Choir at Christmas time, I bawl the entire time. Why do I even try? Ok, sorry for harassing you. Please forgive me. Loves!!!

Great post BTW.