Wednesday, March 17, 2010

GOOD AS NEW!

I have always wanted to do this project.  Taking old broken crayons and turning them into something lovely and new.  We have many broken crayons around here, and I have been a doing a bit of “spring cleaning,” so I thought now would be a good time to try this out. 

Rylee was my helper one day.

It’s simple.  You take your old crayons and take off all the paper.  Then place them into molds and cook at a low temperature until they melt. 

If I was to do this again I probably would be more careful about what colors went into each slot – but when you have a 2-year-old helping you get some fun colors mixed together.  More fun that way I suppose. 

FYI:  On some of mine appeared a waxy layer on the top.  With a bit of research I found that this may have been caused by washable crayons.

  DSC_0127

Take them out of the oven and let them cool down all the way.  Then you have new crayons to use!

DSC_0033

Madi wants to sell these at our massive garage sale we will have when we finally move back home.  We were thinking maybe 5 or 10 cents a piece.  She thinks she will make a killing.  If not then her friends will get a nice gift when we leave!

2 comments:

Janae said...

I have been wanting to do this as well. Where did you get your molds from? The only ones I have seen are super expensive. I have been holding out for some cheap ones.

Looks great, and hurry and have that yard sale and come home.

Stacy said...

Janae mine are actually for ice cubes - which are not supposed to go in the oven. On low heat it didn't seem to bother them much. I think they are from IKEA actually. I had them around the house and never use them for ice so they got re-purposed. I can hang onto mine and you can use them - they are no good once you use them because they have crayon in them already.

Also, you can use small muffin tins - just put the paper liners in them and then it won't ruin the pan. It should just come off the paper - or so I read on line when doing some research.