Thursday, July 24, 2008

Happy Pioneer Day!


On July 24, 1847 after being driven out of so many places the Utah pioneers rumbled over the mountains and were met by a desert valley. It was then proclaimed that "THIS WAS THE PLACE" for them to settle down and make a city. I can not imagine what it must have felt like for them to finally have a place to call home, yet wondering if it would be home forever or just temporary. This is a photo I found of the view now from Ensign Peak (which the spot has become known as), but this is not what it looked like to the pioneers. They were met by sagebrush and desert grass. Not much water, except a spring coming out of the mountain, and a huge body of salt water to the west. However, due to the hard work of those pioneer men and women a beautiful city has emerged - a city which I love!! Several years ago before children while we were living at Kev's parents house, while they served a mission in Melbourne, Australia, we were asked to participate in Youth Conference. We were asked to be a "ma" and "pa" of a handcart company. We chose the name Traveller to be our family name because this was the family name of some of my ancestors who travelled across the plains. Although this was not exactly how the pioneers lived and how they travelled I caught a glimpse into the hardships they faced. We had a "woman's pull" where the boys could not help us pull and push the handcart up this huge hill. I thought I would die, but what a spirit I felt about those faithful women who crossed the plains by themselves with no husbands by their side due to death or a call to fight in the war. After this experience I grew to appreciate my ancestors and the sacrifices they made for me and the song "Come, come ye saints" had new meaning to me and still brings tears to my eyes.
Although I haven't given it much thought in recent years and when the 24th of July comes along I don't always think as I should about those pioneer men and women who fought for religious freedom inside of a country that proclaims the right to choose your religion. This year however, I have been thinking about it a lot. It may be because of a conversation I had shortly after arriving here with a woman at Church. The subject was brought up about ancestors and she asked if I had pioneers in my background. I replied yes. To which she responded how amazing that was. I hadn't ever thought of those members of our Church who are new to this gospel and don't have generations going back to the pioneers. I am proud of my heritage, for people who fought for what they believed in, and who helped to bring this gospel into my life as well.

3 comments:

Lisha said...

That's a pretty amazing family history, would love to hear more some time, thanks for sharing.

Mari said...

Thank you so much for sharing your family history and your feeling for the pioneers!

Janae said...

We went to the parade today and I saw Kevin's twin. I did a double take! You should be glad you are not really here, it is blazing hot, did I mention that is is HOT???