Friday, August 1, 2008

WHEN LIFE HANDS YOU LAUNDRY FIND THE LEMONS!

So the other day I was out taking down the laundry - this is something that I seem to have to do everyday - and I spied some lemons hanging over the fence from the neighbors tree. Since I had decided on chicken for dinner but wasn't sure how to prepare it the lemons fit right into my day!! After picking two lovely smelling lemons on my side of the fence I got to wondering if it was stealing. They were on my side of the fence, but the tree is not mine. What do you think? Did I steal those lemons? If I did than this is not the first time I have done it - am I a criminal? Well, the lemon chicken was a huge hit - Cooper even had three pieces!!!

Speaking of laundry the other day as I was out hanging up laundry I was thinking (that is one of the benefits of hanging out your laundry to dry you have time to ponder) and I realized that I don't hate it as much as I did when I first got here. I actually don't mind going out in the morning and hanging up the laundry amid the singing birds flying in the trees above me. It is actually quite peaceful. I also think that it is wonderful that I am doing my small part for the environment. So that night I told Kev that when we move back home that we need to put a clothes line in our backyard. You should have seen his face he said, "Who are you? and where is my wife?" Although thinking about it I realize that I would use a clothes line in the summer, but probably not long after that. As soon as winter hits and you can't hang your clothes outside anymore I would probably get out of the habit and remember why I love my dryer so much. So this is still up for debate. Kev thinks everyone would think we were crazy. Here it is normal to see someones laundry hanging up outside - but back home...not so normal. You may just see this in our backyard in the future....

9 comments:

Mari said...

You can rest assured that you are not a criminal...
My neighbour spent all summer eyeing our passionfruit vine that grows along our shared fence.... he was hoping for some fruits on his side of the fence.

Mari said...

ooh and I forgot to say..... good on you for wanting to carry on your green habits back home. Start a new trend and soon there'll be clothes lines all over the place (hopefully)

sirpa said...

To be honest, I would have probably gone to the neighbour and asked if I could pick the lemons from my side of the fence. On the other hand if they weren't on the tree but had dropped on my yard from the tree that wasn't on my yard then I would consider them as mine :-) But that's just me...I don't think that makes you criminal.

Karla said...

I love the hanging the laundry thing. I think that would be awesome to do back here in Utah. Also, the sun bleaches out some of those pesky stains, right? We hung our laundry to dry in Samoa and I always loved the warmth when we took them down, I did not like that they were usually stretched out, but now I think I would cuz I need the extra stretch. :)

Luvnbnamom said...

Oh goodness...I can just imagine all the hanging I would have to do! Yikes! I guess Im not going green anytime soon! lol By the way I say ofcourse your not a criminal!They were on your side of the fence! lol

A-L said...

Here's something to ponder: If your neighbour came into your yard (without asking) to get the lemons that were on their tree, but on your side of the fence, would they be trespassing?

Sorry you had to find out my big news from my blog! I sent out emails to most people (or so I thought) and figured facebook would inform the rest, but it appears facebook failed me. Alex and I still get messages from people saying congrats as they just found out we are engaged. :D

Suzi said...

There's a technical term for it.
Scrumping!

That's the rule, if it's hanging over your side of the fence you can cut the branch etc.
My neighbour and I grow things over the fence on purpose so we can share. Though last year I didn't get many beans, then realised the main crop was over the fence!
I got plenty of peas in return :o)

Katie said...

I still hate hanging my laundry out to dry... maybe I should try reflecting more while I do it.

Brooklyn said...

your NOT a criminal it was on YOUR side of the fence NOT there`s