Tuesday, July 14, 2009

MADI'S SURGERY

We headed to the hospital early yesterday morning after dropping the younger kids at Lisha's house (thanks again Lisha!). They got us all checked in and waiting in the room and then we had to play the waiting game.

45 minutes before they came to give her pain meds before the operation.
Another 45 minutes to be taken up to the theater. SIDE NOTE: I love how they call the O.R. the theater - are they putting on a show? This 45 minutes turned into over an hour.
Madi was getting impatient and Kev told her that was why she was called a patient in the hospital because you have to be patient and wait a lot.

Finally it was time for Madi to be wheeled upstairs on her bed. She thought it was cool to get to ride around on her bed through the hospital. I went up with her and put on sock covers, a gown, and a lovely hat. Madi just had to wear the hat. Madi's friend Emily got to go with her and stay in the theater with her.
I stayed with Madi until they put her to sleep. It was strange to see her slowly fall asleep as they hooked her up to the heart monitor. Lucky for us they put the IV in after I left - not sure I would have handled that well.

After Madi was asleep I gave her a kiss on the cheek and headed back downstairs to wait with Kev until she was awake.
About an hour later I was on my way back upstairs. I have to admit that I was a bit afraid to see Madi in recovery. It wasn't so bad. She was still a little out of it and not quite herself, but she smiled at me and mouthed answers to my questions. She was coughing quite a bit but they told me that was normal and she was okay. After only about 10 minutes we headed back downstairs.
Madi was already falling back asleep in the elevator. Soon after we arrived back into her room she fell asleep for about an hour.
When she woke up she still couldn't talk well and wanted something to eat. However, when she looked at the jelly (Jell-O) they had given her she got really sick to her stomach. Nothing a little medicine couldn't help. Soon she was eating everything they gave her. They told her she could have as many icy poles (a type of popsicle) as she wanted. I am not sure they realized how many she would want. She ate all they had..LOL!!
After we were sure Madi was fine Kevin and I left her there to go get the other kids from Lisha's. We figured it would be easier for Kev to have the car at the hospital to come home in the morning. Madi was such a big girl and did well all by herself. She colored, watched sponge bob, and ate icy poles and jelly. Apparently she also went to the bathroom a few times as well - that's what happens when you eat lots of icy poles.
Kev headed back to the hospital to spend the night with Madi. Madi picked Kev to stay, and when I saw the bed that he was going to get to sleep on secretly I was happy about her decision. She told Kev that she was glad he was staying because I ask her too many questions - "Are you feeling okay?" "Do you want anything?" You know the normal mom questions.
Kev didn't get much sleep during the night. They came and checked on Madi every hour - not sure she got much sleep either.
In the morning she was ready to go home. They signed all the release forms and took out her IV. All of a sudden she went white as a ghost. Apparently seeing that needle come out of her arm was not a good thing for Madi. Now she knows she has to be like me - look away! Just look away!
She is home now. We have watched three movies, eaten many popsicles and cups of jelly. Had curly noodles (that's what Madi calls roman noodles) for lunch. Madi is bored she told me a little while ago. She is going to have a very long week I think - that means I will too.
Unfortunately for Kev he had to go to work today. He has to do a presentation to a VP and then go out to dinner. I think he is going to be very worn out when he gets home late tonight.
pre-surgery

post-surgery

6 comments:

Lisha said...

Yay Madi, you are such a brave girl. So are your mum and dad too. We hope your throat feels better soon.

Kate said...

Phew! So glad it's all over and done with and she did so well. What a relief for you! Love the carebears blanket :)

Deb said...

Glad that everything went well for Madi, and that mom survived too. It is never easy putting your kid through surgery. What a trooper!

Cindy Staley said...

Good job madi! So glad it went well. Here they consider it out patient surgery so I took both my boys home once they could drink well (only a couple of hours post surgery). Good luck this week!

Gardner said...

I hope she is getting lots of cold yummy treats.

Oaklee said...

Your such a brave girl and checkout my blog please