Saturday, March 8, 2008

Confessions of a stay-at-home mom....

So I have a few confessions to make. Things are not always very organized and clean around my house - I know some of you may not believe me on this one. I have realized since having kids that I can't keep up with everything. My house can't be spotless and sometimes the to-do list doesn't get done. The more kids I have the more things get pushed back to another day. So yesterday I went around the house to capture my moments of weakness:


Rylee spends an awful lot of time in a diaper with just a shirt, or even no clothes, on. I never did this with the other two. They were always dressed and a bow was always in Madi's hair. I think I can contribute this to my dislike for doing laundry here. If she has an accident, or spits up really bad, and her clothes get dirty I just take them off and don't replace them - especially if we have no where to go.
Yesterday, like most days if I were to be honest, my bed never got made. I still don't make my bed much. Never liked to do it as a kid either. I have tried to make this a New Years Resolution many times, but it hasn't resolved yet. If I were to be honest, my bed only gets made maybe two or three days a week. I know - slacker!!By dinner time the dishes were still in the sink. I know that I can contribute this to no dish washer.
Cooper's room is often a disaster area. He is always making a club house or something and no matter how often I sit down with him and clean everything it looks like a tornado hit it hours later. I have a hard time when it comes to my children's spaces. I know that it is their space and they need to have a place to "express" themselves. However, I hate clutter and their idea of a "treasure" is different from mine. This is where I have had to bend and change my opinion about cleanliness.
Cooper may not be clean, but Madi I have trained well. Her room is always picked up and everything has a place.
The laundry never ends. It takes me twice as long to get the laundry done here. The dryer is not as efficient so almost everything gets hung out on the line. I actually dread laundry and it seems to need to be done almost every day. The toys don't always get put away either. I can remember when Madi was little I was going around after her picking things up all of the time. I learned quickly that a few toys around isn't a big deal. We just try and clean up every night before the kids go to bed. Last but not least. We don't always eat a home cooked meal. Shocker!! I hate to cook and some nights I have a hard time motivating myself to make something. Last night was one of those nights. Although, there isn't as much variety or choice in take away food close to our home. Plus, everything is closed by 6pm, so you have to be prepared in your dinner choices.So there you go, a few confessions. However, with all my short comings as a stay-at-home mom, I will have to say that my kids seem to be well adjusted and they seem to be happy. Isn't that all that really matters in the long run? They even get to have sleep overs in Madi's room on a Friday night! Which was a good thing since there was a spectacular lightening storm last night and Madi wouldn't have gone to sleep without someone in the room with her.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad I'm not the only one! My house is a mess 90% of the time...even when I do clean. I refuse to clean my kids' rooms. It's too depressing to be in there the next day and see all my hard work turned up-side down. I am also a firm believer of "if it's clean and in the laundry basket on my floor, it's just as good as being clean in a drawer!" :) You are brave to post pictures of your confessions. I'm not sure I could do that. LOL

Lisha said...

I'm so glad there's someone out there with the same housekeeping problems, mountains of washing, unmade beds, lack of desire to cook....... I think that's what creeps up on you after you've had your third child.....That's my excuse anyway :+}

Dera said...

It gets easier, sort of, when they get older because they get to have bigger jobs. But of course things can never be spotless. I try really hard and it seems hopeless some days. I guess we can only keep on trying out best (as Pres. Hinckley would say).

sirpa said...

"Rylee in the diaper" problem will solve itself out when the ozzie winter hits you :-) We've never worns so many clothes inside than we did in Oz during their winter *lol* That was a culture shock at firs but now we think that Finns should ease down on the heating and just put some more clothes on too :-) Then again...+15C is a bit too low to have inside (as we did down there).

Carli said...

These are not confessions my dear - they are just daily life!! As much as we would love our houses to look like magazine covers they are much more fun and loving than that!

AmyG said...

I think it makes everyone feel a little better that they aren't the only ones. I love that feeling of a perfectly clean house. It doesn't happen very often, and would probably loose it's specialness if it was perfect all the time.

Suzi said...

You mean I have to wait until my third child to be excused? lol just kidding - my house is a magazine cover! (sorry, who's coughing?)

I used to LOVE cooking and would do it at every opportunity but now it's a drag at meal times.

Lucas can hardly bend his arms and legs in winter with all the layers we put on. Houses aren't built right here. Cardboard boxes!

Travis said...

Love the Ikea dishes in the sink, we have those too! They are the prefect size. The bowls are great too. The other day Travis said to me "I didn't think you would ever let the house get this bad" He was referring to the toys all over in the family room. Now that we actually have a family room I don't care that much. Paisley's room is currently lined with pull-ups, meaning the she has a carpet of them. She told me it was so she could find them easier. Yup pretty easy to find when you have step on all of them to walk around!

elder mcdonough said...

hush up don;t give away all our secrets, we have to stick together us home managers

Anonymous said...

I was just wondering who would help me wash the windows and clean the walls.
Any takers?
Mom