Monday, April 14, 2008

COME LISTEN TO A PROPHETS VOICE

We finally got our chance to see General Conference. This is a weekend that I look forward to every six months. A whole weekend to listen to prophets and apostles and to learn how to improve my life.
This is only our second General Conference in Australia. Several people ask how we get to see it - nope no General Conference on TV here. They broadcast it at the Stake Center the next weekend so we can go there and see it. Last time we went to all of the sessions there - yep, we made the kids sit there for four sessions. However, this time Kev had a soccer game on Saturday so we decided for a different tactic - which worked well.
We listened to the Saturday morning session Monday night for FHE. It was so wonderful to stand and sustain the prophet in our own home. We talked to the kids about the importance of it and what a great Spirit entered our home. We plan on listening to the second session tonight for FHE.
Saturday night we rushed home from the soccer game and Kev showered and headed over to the Stake Center for the Priesthood session. I always love it when he comes home and tells me what he has heard there. I typically greet him by asking, "So, what did they tell you about being nice to your wife?" He just laughs. I love that this session is so important to Kev. He really values holding the Priesthood and knows the importance of this great gift.
Sunday morning we got up and got ready to head over to the Stake Center. I packed a picnic lunch and put a roast in the crock pot. I was so excited that they replayed the sustaining of the Prophet and the 12 Apostles again so that we could stand once more with hundreds of other members and sustain Thomas S. Monson as the Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
We survived the first session with a tiny nap for Rylee and lots of coloring books and an activity pack that I had put together for the Primary kids in our ward. It was so great to hear from President Thomas S. Monson as the Prophet. What a great man he is!
Then we headed outside for a one hour break to have our picnic. We thought that we would sit on the grass and eat on a blanket. It was sprinkling a bit so I got out the umbrella for Madi and Cooper to sit under. The sprinkling soon turned into a down pour so we headed into the van to finish our lunch. We listened to Joseph and the Technicolored Dream Coat and enjoyed some family time. Funny story: after going back into the building the boys headed to the bathroom and Cooper came runny back. "Mom, Daddy told me that it is raining cats and dogs outside! Isn't that funny! You have to go and look!" He still thinks that it is so funny.

The kids did really well sitting through Conference - the last hour was a bit hard, but we made it through. I just really believe that if I want my kids to know the importance of Conference and of the living prophets on the earth than we need to make them listen to it even when they are little. I can still remember when I was little we all had our own blankets on the floor. We were allowed to have whatever we wanted on those blankets, but we had to sit there and be quiet. I learned from a young age that General Conference weekend is a weekend to listen to the prophets and that it is important to take two weekends a year to do this.

I loved Elder Hollands talk to young mothers. It really struck a note (obviously), it was a very nice thing to end conference with. I especially loved when he talked to the kids. At dinner I asked the kids what they learned and they both said that they should try harder to help out at home and pick up their toys. Hopefully, they will remember that forever.

After Conference we headed home and had a lovely roast and potatoe dinner with homemade rolls. It was delicious - I surprise myself each time when I make something good. Maybe I am not as bad in the kitchen as I once believed. LOL!

My spiritual cup is overflowing for another six months! Can't wait to reread everything in the Ensign - with the kiddies around I always miss out on so much. I love to read all the talks again and underline the important bits - that takes me another six months, just in time for the next Conference!

3 comments:

Mari said...

I loved elder Holland's talk too! Lucie thought he was talking just to her when he talked about the toys.... She was relieved to hear that it was for all the kids, I think!

Carli said...

I am so the same - that conference edition of the ensign is always tattered and written all over by the end - and all the really good quotes are transferred to my journal.

sirpa said...

Can you believe it, reading your post made me even miss the australian rain! The rain is so much better down there than here! And a lot more appreciated too!