Tuesday, April 1, 2008

ORGANIZING...

Everyone know that I love to organize and the laundry has been giving me nightmares since having three children and much more laundry to do. Since the kids have gotten older they can help which is nice, but I needed a new system. I found one!! While at IKEA I took time to look through the baskets to find some big, sturdy ones. Here is what I found: I got out all my paper scrap goods and made tags with the kids first initial on them. It was fun to get out all my paper stuff - I haven't done that much since doing all my scrapping digitally. So the idea is that I will fill the baskets when I do the kid's laundry and they get to take the baskets in their rooms and empty them into the drawers. So far Madi has done fantastic - Cooper's is still sitting on the kitchen floor (He may need more reminders). I also have decided that if they are going to help then I have to get over the fact that my perfectly folded clothes may not stay perfectly folded in the drawers. I am hoping that this will relieve some of the frustrations of the laundry - if anything it will get rid of the piles of laundry on the kitchen table.

One funny thing. After I finished the tags I had them all sitting out like you see in the picture. I had put them in age order and told the kids not to touch them because I wanted to take a picture. I got distracted helping Rylee with something and didn't get to them right away. However, Cooper just couldn't resist and had moved them around how he thought they should be. From the other room I heard Madi saying, "Cooper, you better put those back. Mommy is going to be mad at you for messing up her system!"

Another funny thing that Cooper said to me yesterday after dropping him off at school and saying goodbye, "Bye mommy! Have a fun day at home with your peace and quiet time!"

6 comments:

Suzi said...

looks great! I have a smiliar system. One basket for dark and another for lights. I really need three, one for dark, one for colours and one white.. no more picking through other people's dirty undies, just straight in the wash!

Travis said...

Good idea. Those are some cute baskets and tags too!

Lisha said...

What a lovely system and I love the tags. I also have 3 baskets.......full of clean unfolded & unsorted washing......they didn't hold enough so I bought another one last week!

Mari said...

Great system! I love those tags too. Was it nice to do some paper crafting again?

Loved your children's comments too :)

elder mcdonough said...

i can't wait for my day of peace and quiet. cute idea and stories

Dera said...

Peace and quiet was good for a little bit, but you do start missing them. They don't always want to come home. They have sports, music and friends that are more important.