Wednesday, April 16, 2008

HOW TO BUILD A BIRD FEEDER

Madi had to read a book a few weeks ago for her home reader entitled, "How to build a bird feeder." Due to this book we now had a craft project to do. We went in search of pine cones and found some in the front yard of a neighbors house. So here's how to make your own:


STEP 1: tie string around the pine cone
STEP 2: put peanut butter on the pine cone and cover it with bird seeds

STEP 3: examine to make sure the string is attached correctly and it is all covered up with pb and bird seedSTEP 4: hang it in the tree and wait for the birds to come have a feast

So last week we hung them in the tree and then it began to rain for a few days straight. Yesterday I went out to have a look and the pine cones were all empty. Although, I think our mouse friend was back. Some of the strings didn't have a pine cone on them at all and some of the pine cones looked pretty chewed up. Oh well, it was fun for the kids!

QUESTION TO PONDER: I realize that the birds here don't fly south for the winter, but do they go north or is the temperature just fine where they are?

4 comments:

sirpa said...

I thought some of the birds fly to the pacific islands, but I'm not sure. And the Cockatoos stay there all year, I think. At least we did see them last winter too. And the Kookaburras.

Carli said...

Some do go north but with a feast of peanut butter and seeds in the hutchinson backyard they might be staying put for a while!

Travis said...

looks like you had fun...there is a surprise for you on our blog....

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-digital-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.