Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A BIT OF ADVENTURE

Well, when you are in the adventure capital of New Zealand you have to have a bit of adventure right? Queenstown is the place. I asked Kev if he wanted to bungee jump off of the really high bridge - I of course would not be joining him, but he could go by himself and have all of the fun. He declined because it would be boring to do all by himself. However, he did have another adventure up his sleeve, one that the older kids could do as well. The shot over jet : http://shotoverjet.co.nz/

So while Rylee and I wandered around Queenstown doing a bit of window shopping they all went off on their adventure. What an adventure it was - as Cooper got off the boat apparently he told the driver, "That was cool, I wish I had one of these by my house!"
Here is a description of the boat: How the shotover jet "Big Red" h=jet boats works - different form other boats, it has no external parts. Water is drawn in through inlets in the bottom of the boat, impellers (internal propellers) then force the water out through the nozzles at the rear of the boat at great force (800 liters per second). It is the force of the water that propels the boat and turning the nozzles provides direction. The boats can break and reverse using defectors and thrust buckets similar to a jet aircraft.
Imagine shooting across the water of a river inside of a rock canyon, doing 360s, and coming very close to rock canyon walls. Apparently it is quite the rush and everyone enjoyed their morning of adventure. You have to train for three years just to drive one of the jets. Of course they got a bit of education about the gold rush in that area as well as the driver stopped at a few places to give a little history.
Kevin splurged (I only say that because Kev doesn't usually do this) and bought the photos and a short DVD we can watch about their trip. I am actually glad that he did because you can download the pictures and I can see part of what they did.

1 comment:

Julie Baldwin said...

I'm with Cooper. I wish they had one of those by my house.