Monday, January 28, 2008

PRESIDENT GORDON B. HINCKLEY PASSES AWAY


As I was talking to my mom on the web cam today my brother called to tell her the sad news. President Gordon B. Hinckley, Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, passed away Sunday, January 27, 2008 at 7:00pm in his home at the age of 97. (which was Monday, January 28, 2008 at 1:00pm here in Sydney)
I can still remember the particular moment that I gained a strong testimony that President Hinckley was a Prophet of God. I was attending a Tuesday devotional at BYU and he was to be the speaker. Of course the Marriott Center was packed full of students and faculty and I was at the very top. I can still remember the feelings I had when he walked in and we all stood up to honor this great man. Then the student body began to sing "We Thank Thee Oh God for a Prophet" and I have never felt the Spirit so strong. I knew that he was called of God and that I needed to follow his counsel because he was speaking in the Lord's name.
What a wonderful man!!
He has done so much for the Church. From building so many temples to helping our image in the media. I am so thankful that I was able to have that moment, with so many other students, where I was able to have the Spirit witness to me what a great man he truly was. He will be greatly missed.
"Of all the creations of the Almighty, there is none more beautiful, none more inspiring than a lovely daughter of God who walks in virtue, with an understanding of why she should do so, who honors and respects her body as a thing of sacred and divine, who cultivates her mind and constantly enlarges the horizon of her undertanding, who nurtures her spirit with everlasting truth. "
"The true strength that is America's , the true strength of any nation, lies in those qualities of character that have been acquired for the most part by children taught in the quiet, simple, everyday manner of mothers."

1 comment:

Lisha said...

Thankyou for your beautiful testimony Stacy, it's wonderful to hear peoples testimonies about how President Hinkley made an impression on their life.