Tuesday, November 25, 2008

THE BIG GAME

Well Saturday was the BIG GAME!!! If you live in Utah you know exactly what I am talking about - the rivalry between BYU and the University of Utah. I was actually really excited when I found out we were going to get to come back to Utah and be here for this huge event. The entire week before is full of trash talk and analysis of the game ahead. Each and every year it is hard to predict based on the record what will really happen on the day - it is a rivalry after all. I have heard that this is one of the top five rivalry match ups in the country.

My brother-in-law, Brandon, had given me a black package to take home with me the last time I was here and it stated that I could not open it until November 22nd. So of course we brought it back with us and opened it up here. Inside were t-shirts for all of us in our various school colors - Rylee's was pink with a UofU logo on it. Kev had told me that no matter what was in the package we had to wear it. He had told Brandon to get Rylee a little something red to wear for the game. Of course Brandon went well above what he should and we all got a new shirt - thanks Brandon! WE ARE A HOUSE DIVIDED. It is quite funny to see really. We had to stop by the store on the way to a family lunch before the game and got some strange looks from those around us.
I have to tell you this funny story from the mouth of Cooper. He gets a little sensitive when people trash talk his cougars. Kev and Madi are constantly telling him that cougars meow and not roar and he gets so upset. So we were telling him that some of his cousins were going to give him a hard time (we were heading over to Kev's family lunch before the game and they are all red). I told him just to tell people that it didn't matter his team was going to win anyway and not let it bother him because they were just trash talking and it was all in fun. Later as we were leaving the store Cooper says to Madi, "My team is going to win today Madi!" I told him to be nice to his sister and he says to me, "Well mom, what if I want to start the trash talking? Is that okay too?" I just started laughing -what a funny kid.
We headed over to my sister's house after lunch to watch the game with my family. Somehow I have several brothers who have gone over to the dark side and now cheer for the U. Plus my sister and I have both married U fans. It was pretty fun to watch the game with my family and eat lots of snack. Lots of trash talk and cheering on both sides - of course most of the cheering came in the second half when BYU's quarterback, Max Hall, decided to give the game away. You can't win a game if you turn the ball over 7 times.

FINAL SCORE:

UTAH 48

BYU 24

5 comments:

Kevin said...

Go UTES!!!!!

Lisha said...

You guys are so funny, glad your having fun.

Unknown said...

Wasn't that just the best day ever? What a great game. The best team won!! Love it!

sirpa said...

Excuse my ignorance, but a game of what? I'm guessing football?

Stacy said...

Yep Sirpa - American college football.