Monday, November 17, 2008

On the road again...

Can you guess where this picture was taken? The airport. Can you believe that we are in the States again? I talked to my mom on Monday and she mentioned that my grandma wasn't doing very well. I called Kev and asked him if the part of our contract that covered flying us home for funerals included grandparents as well. Good thing for us it does. A few days later my mom called me and told me that my grandma had passed away. 24 hours later we were on our way to the airport. It all seems so crazy and it all was so rushed. We are all here this time and since we came all this way Kev decided that we needed to stay for a while so here we are until the day after Thanksgiving!

Of course the circumstances for coming home are not great. My last grandparent has left this earth. This is sad to me. It makes me realize that there isn't another generation older than my parents. However, since she has suffered with Alzheimer's for about eight years the end is a welcome sight. After flying, and the longest day of our lives, we spent the night at my in-laws before driving another 4 hours up to Idaho for the viewing that night and the funeral the next day. My grandma, just like grandpa, was taken by a horse drawn carriage to the cemetery.

The flowers were gorgeous - grandma would have loved that - and the ones for her casket of course in her favorite color of red. My mom also asked us to put flowers on her sisters grave so the kids and I did that as well.

I am so happy that I know where we go after this earth life is over. I can't imagine not knowing that and having a loved one pass away. I know that my grandma is in heaven and reunited with the love of her life - whom she has been away from for too long. She is healthy and her memory is back in it's fullest. I will get to see her again and she will remember who I am and I rejoice in this thought. She was a remarkable woman. Always had a remarkable vegetable garden and she along with my grandpa worked so hard to run their farm. I come from such a strong legacy. My background is rich with history and hard work. I am blessed to be part of the family that I belong to.

Her favorite motto: "Eat it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

5 comments:

mintifresh said...

I'm sorry your grandma is gone from this world. I am so grateful for the gospel, too! I am glad you get to be with your family again for Thanksgiving! That's great!

Mari said...

Hi Stacy
I was sorry to hear about your grandma, but I'm glad you got to go home for the funeral and that you get to spend Thanksgiving with your family.

Love
Mari

Deb said...

Sorry to hear about your grandma. Glad that you made it back to the states safely. Have a safe trip.

Luvnbnamom said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. That is really neat about the horse drawn carriage though. It's great that his work flew you all home. Brooklyn is so, so,so excited, I hope that you have time to sneak in a visit for her and Madi...a sleepover would be tons of fun! Call me and let me know!!

Gardner said...

I was very sad to hear about your Grandma. It is always hard to lose someone you love but at the same time you feel very happy to know that they are where they need to be. Surrounded with loved ones in Heaven.