Wednesday, November 12, 2008

MY CARBON FOOTPRINT

I have always cared about the environment. I have always tried really hard to recycle. When I was in the States I grew my own veggies and composted most of my kitchen waste - something I really miss doing. I hated hanging my clothes out on the line when I first got to Australia but I don't mind much anymore. I am really thinking that we need to install a clothes line in the house we purchase when we move back to the States. I love my green bags and hardly ever get plastic anymore. I was excited to see that many of the stores in the States are beginning to sale green bags, although I was disappointed to see that not many people were taking advantage of them. I have always tried really hard to run all my errands on the same day and not drive if I don't need to. Kev used to hate it when I would try and figure out anyway possible for us not to have to drive two cars places - sometimes the plans would be so elaborate.


There is still so much I can do. One thing that I have been wanting to change is the chemicals that we use in our house to clean. I especially have been wondering about the laundry detergent that I use. Then I was browsing a few weeks ago on my friend Carli's blog and she had the answers that I was seeking. Carli is the guru when it comes to all things environmental - at least I think so. She has incorporated green into every part of her life yet doesn't push it on anyone - that is the part that I especially like. Anyway I was looking thru Carli's blog and catching up on what I had missed while in the States and she had a link for a recipe to make your own laundry detergent. I decided that I was going to try it out.
Here is the recipe:
CONCENTRATED LAUNDRY POWDER - this is the powder I use in my front loader
4 cups grated laundry or homemade soap or soap flakes (Lux)
2 cups borax
2 cups washing soda
Mix all the ingredients thoroughly and store in a plastic container with a lid.
Use 2 tablespoons per wash. Again, this powder will not make suds and again, this is perfectly okay.

Last week I got all the ingredients and yesterday finally got a chance to make up a batch (perfect timing because I used the last of my store bought stuff). It took me all of 10 minutes to make it and that included grating the laundry soap. You can buy soap flakes but the brand of soap flakes they had bothers Kev's skin so I opted to buying bars of soap and grating it myself. 10 minutes to make a batch of my own laundry soap. I know what is in it, and I only have to put 2 tablespoons in each batch. It is estimated to being about $2 to make per batch. I can cut costs as well as help out the environment and keep some of the chemicals out. I am so proud of myself. I was a bit nervous about it really cleaning my clothes, but it has done well so far. The biggest test was Kev's stinky basketball clothes that he played in last night - they smell fine. The thing about this recipe is that it doesn't make your clothes smell (that's the chemicals they add anyway), but you can add essential oils if you want. I have bought lavender but didn't put it in this batch - maybe the next one. Now I am looking into using some green methods to clean my house as well. Look at me!!

I was talking to my mom and telling her that I was going to make my own laundry detergent and she started laughing. She told me how my grandma used to take a big pot out into the yard and boil and cook her own soap. She would then spread it out and wait for it to dry and cut it into bars. My mom hated it because it tore at your skin when you washed your hands and left them dry. I haven't gone that far, but I think my grandma would be proud of me as well.

7 comments:

Krista S said...

WOW! That's really impressive. I think I am so lazy when it comes to that kind of stuff because I think it will take so much time to do it. I can't believe it only took you 10 minutes. I might have to really try it out. Thanks for the info!!

Janae said...

This is interesting, the ladies on PYP have quite the thread about this. I was thinking about trying it myself, but Albertson's had such a killer deal on laundry soap I am stocked for about a year. Remind me in a year I want to try it.

Suzi said...

I'm STILL trying to get through my year's worth of washing detergent I stocked up on 5 years ago!

Actually, I can't wait to get making my own soap - the fumes aren't recommended during pregnancy so it'll have to wait a while.

Do your clothes get as clean using this powder?
Try just sticking a couple of drops of oil in the mix now, then close the lid. That will still work. Eucalyptus is great for any moths/thrips that might get on your clothes during drying on the line. We have that prob... anyway, should have emailed you :o)

sirpa said...

Good on you Stace! One thing I like about Finland better than Australia is that it's so much easier to live enviromentally friendly life in Finland than in Australia.

mintifresh said...

You go, girl! I'm still trying to remind myself to take my 'green' bags to the store to use those! I do like that pretty smell the laudry soap has, though. THat's be hard to let go of. You're awesome!

mintifresh said...

That would be hard to give up. I'm still working on my English, too!

Carli said...

Stacy, I'm glad you found all the ingredients and got into it. Sometimes it's hard getting used to not having a stronger smelling perfume on your clothes but they're all chemical smells anyway. First hanging out your clothes, now this, what's next!