Monday, November 3, 2008

The right to vote

I am glad that I am a citizen of a country that has a right to vote for it's leaders. I realized that in the past men and women suffered and protested for these rights to be equal for all. This right to vote makes me proud to be an American. However, the candidates for the highest office of our country do not necessarily make me happy. For the first time since I was old enough to vote I was undecided until I filled out my absentee ballot. Which I filled out and took to the post this afternoon - it had to be postmarked the day before the election, cutting it a bit close right?! I just couldn't decide who to vote for. The Utah elections were easy for me to decide, but not the big one - who should be the next president of the United States. I am not sure that I really care. I am not happy with either of them and I don't think that either will do good things for our country. Neither one has a good economic plan or health care plan (in my opinion) and those are the big issues to me. I hate hearing that this is a contest between the races - do we really care that one man is white and the other black? No the smart Americans care about the issues not the color of the skin. The country is in a crisis - not only our economy but the how the rest of the world views us. We need to fix these things and I am not sure that either of these men can get the job done. It will be interesting to see who wins on November 4th - Barrack Obama or John McCain - really I just don't want to hear any more campaigning or see any more political speeches.

5 comments:

Deb said...

I am with you. When I went to vote last week, I felt that I was voting for the lesser of two evils, not the person that I thought would best lead our country. We definitely are in a sad state. We are leaving a mess for future generations to deal with. I for one am sorry.

Janae said...

I feel the same way. Neither candidate is super great, but I have to chose the lesser of two evils.

mintifresh said...

Here! Here! I've never been so unexcited to vote in my short adult life!! I think I'll still vote for Mitt, what do you think?

sirpa said...

I'm proud of my right to vote too! And Im proud to be a citizen of a country that was the first to give that right to women.

I think whoever gets elected as the president of the USA has very hard times ahead of them. It won't be easy to pick up the pieces from where the predecessor left them. But whoever is elected I sure hope they'll be up for the job. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Unknown said...

Well said. I agree!