Monday, December 22, 2008

Weekend of friends

This weekend was so much fun and so full of friendships and love. I am starting to get into the Christmas spirit (good thing since there are only three sleeps left) and only have a few things left on my list to get done!Friday night we decided to go see the Carols by Candlelight at the temple. It was the night our Stake was assigned to go and even though they went all weekend long we decided to go the first night. It was such a treat. Kev was a bit disappointed because he thought it would be more like last year where we all got to sing the carols. It was more of a performance this time around, but I thought it was wonderful. It was nice to hear some beautiful music and enjoy a nice evening with the temple lit up behind us. (I really need a tripod - I tried to get some good shots of the temple all lit up and they were all blurry. Some day.) Madi had taken to heart our Stake challenge of inviting non-members and less active members to all things Christmas in the month of December and invited her friend Jamiee to come with us. Because the carols were late we decided a sleep over was in store. That meant two giggly girls all night long - Madi's first sleep over in Australia and Jamiee's first sleep over ever so it was pretty special.

Saturday afternoon we were invited by some friends, the Guy family, to go over for a swim and a BBQ. We have meet the Guy's from school. Two of their daughters are in the same classes as Madi and Cooper and we have formed a great friendship. Unfortunately Saturday was actually a cold day so we thought a swim wouldn't happen. The kids didn't seem to mind and jumped in anyway. They swam until they were shivering and then we decided we better go get warmed up inside. It was a great evening. I forgot my camera so no pictures....
We have made so many wonderful friends while here in Australia. I had a mom comment to me a few weeks ago when I went to pick up Madi from a play date at her house that it must be really hard to make friends knowing that we won't be here permanently. I had never thought about it like that. I have noticed that some of the moms at school don't seem interested in building a friendship with me, and maybe that is why they know I am leaving in a short time. Well, it's their loss I say - I'm a fabulous friend, LOL!!! The friends that we have made I hope will last a lifetime.

2 comments:

sirpa said...

I never thought about not making friends in Oz because we wouldn't stay long. In fact I did want to stay longer, but I treasure the friendships made during that very short year down under. And yes, Stacy, you're quite right, it is their loss :-) You ARE a fabulous friend :-)

kseal said...

You're SO right! We are only ever in the same place for 3 yrs at a time. My take is that we all need friends all of the time, even if only for a little while. Some of my strongest and most lasting friendships are those I found in temporary places.