Saturday, January 24, 2009

JUST BEACHY!

Today was a super hot day at least 40 C (about 104 F) so we had planned on going to the beach. We were going to meet Kev at the Church after Saturday basketball and pick him up and go from there. However, I woke up to the world spinning. I think that my blood sugar had dropped too low and I was suffering the consequences. I called Kev and he came home found me some juice and with a bit of rest I was fine. Since I was feeling okay we decided to head to the beach anyway. Off we headed to Whale Beach - I think we have covered all the beaches close to Sydney now.

It is nice to go to the beach on a really hot day because you can get into the water to cool off. However, the sand is super, burn your feet hot and even though it is cooler at the beach it is still hot. We enjoyed ourselves though. Fun for us that our friend Tim came and brought his kids, Emma and Jack (that's Emma in the picture).

We spent most of the day at the beach playing in the sand, visiting the rock pools, and climbing on the rocks. The beach is still, in my book at least, the best way to spend an afternoon!! Hopefully we will get to go on Monday again to celebrate Australia Day!

Madi also had a memorable experience at the beach - she almost got saved by a lifesaver, almost. Her, Cooper, and I were playing in the water and they were pretending to swim away from me so I had to save them. We were right on the edge of the flags area and within seconds Madi was being swept out to sea. I told her to come back over to me and she tried, but soon realized that she was in trouble and started crying. I, who can't swim well remember, told Cooper to stay where he was and went over to get Madi (luckily I could still reach the bottom). There was a man by us who asked if we were okay, to which I replied that I thought so, but luckily for us he stuck around. I was having a hard time fighting against the waves to get us both to shore. As the lifesaver came in to give us a hand, the nice bloke who had asked if we were okay came and grabbed Madi and carried her towards the shore. Not that it was life threatening - we would have been okay - but it was really nice to get the help. I was really tired after that and so was Madi - plus I realized that my heart had been racing. Since I don't swim well this is one of my fears about going to the beach that one of my kid will get into trouble and I won't be able to do anything about it. Luckily for us this incident wasn't too major and everything was okay. Madi now realizes why we always tell her to stay close to us and to swim within the flags.

1 comment:

Teemu Leppänen said...

Ohh. That was a bit scarry. Good that nothing serious happened.

Enjoy your Australia Day. It is after all about the beach and the over-cooked meat on a semi-hygienic BBQ. ;-D

Cheers,

Teemu