Tuesday, April 7, 2009

GUM BOOTS

What are gum boots some of you might be asking. It took me about a year to figure it out (that may be a slight exaggeration) - I am a bit slow. They are what we would call rain boots or galoshes. Last year my friend Jackie told me to go to K-mart and get some because they were on sale. They truly were! I paid $1.50 for them - that is a steal in Australia!! I got the smallest pair they had in hopes that Rylee would be able to wear them this year. I pulled them out a few weeks ago due to all the rain we were receiving and tried them on. Although they are still a bit big she loves them.
Last week to break up the monotony of life I told Rylee we would go and find some puddles to jump in. She had worn her gum boots that morning to school where we did home reading with Cooper's class. While waiting for the class to be ready for us Rylee spent her time splashing in puddles. So after school I took the kids to the soccer oval where Cooper used to play soccer and we found some good puddles. Rylee was in heaven. Gum boots are so much fun! We have actually never had any at our house before - the other two kids missed out completely and now I feel bad.

Rylee has worn her gum boots proudly almost every day for a week. It doesn't matter to her if it is raining or not. I think part of it is that she can put them on herself - and most of the time they are actually on the correct feet. In fact, last night Kev went to check on her before we went to bed and she had her gum boots on. He was laughing so hard when he came to tell me. There she was in bed on top of the covers with her gum boots proudly on her feet. This morning when we got her out of her room what should be on her feet again - you guessed it her favorite boots! She is a silly little girl!

Now I am on the look out for gum boots for the big kids...

2 comments:

elder mcdonough said...

so cute, love gum boots!

sirpa said...

Before we moved to Australia it had never occurred to me that there were kids in the world who had never worn gum boots or gum suits for that matter. And there were mums who had never had the pleasure of getting gum suits on top of all the other clothes of the toddlers :-) That was just another thing I loved about Australia! Getting out of the door was so much easier than back in Finland :-)