Thursday, May 1, 2008

Great Day at Work!!!!

OK, I admit that I look like a geek in this picture and I will just attribute that to the wonderful gray jump suit, extra cool head phones we were wearing, and my cool hat! Or you can choose to just attribute that to me being me! But this is me and Samant standing on top of the Sydney Harbour Bridge!
'
Yesterday (Wednesday), I went to work thinking it was going to be a normal day. Little did I know that it was actually going to be fun! (Ha ha ha.) One of my friends from work (Samant Nagpal, who works with Global Commercial Card Risk) is actually moving, as he got a new job in Mexico. I wish him luck and think he will do great!
'
Anyway, he also won a reward with Amex and so he was with a group of people that came from all over (mostly the US) to get a week in Sydney (I keep wondering if this was unlucky for him?). Part of the package included tours around the city, blue mountains, and zoo. One of those was the Sydney bridge climb. My lucky day that all of his really close friends couldn't go and I only had one meeting that I was able to move. So, I got a $180 AUD bridge climb for free. Plus, it was a bonus to hang out with Samant one last time before he goes this Sunday.
'
It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about the Sydney landmarks in the tour, including how they used to throw hot rivets to the people standing on the middle of the top cross beams and they would catch them in a tin can and put them in the bridge. And to think that only 8 people died from falling off the bridge. One fell into the water and only had a couple broken ribs and had to have his shoes surgically removed from his feet (they hit first) --- ouch!!
'
My review: Great view, fun to do, but in my opinion it was over priced!

5 comments:

CindyS said...

That is SO cool Kev! I can't believe it's so expensive! They actually sent the Biggest Looser contestants over to Sidney (this past season that just ended)and they had them climb the bridge so you could get a pretty good idea of how high and scarey it was to be up there. So cool!

Travis said...

It sounded fun until you mentioned the part about the shoes. I am glad you had such a good time. Great pictures. I think it is great you are having so much fun over there!
Janae

Mari said...

What a great view. I haven't done the bridge climb (am still saving...) but Peter managed to score a climb through work...

elder mcdonough said...

the whole shoes being removed from the feet thing sounds a little scary, and may have gotten me to turn around. sounds like an adventure

Kevin said...

Just so you know, they don't tell you the parts about the people dieing and the shoes until after you are on the way back down!