Thursday, May 15, 2008

TWITTER PATTED

What am I going to do with Madi? She seriously is going on 17 - can she slow down?! Any advise on this little one would be so helpful - even if that means that you think I am overreacting and need to calm down too.

A little story: Remember a couple of months ago when I told you the kissing story? Well if you don't here's the link.

Well Madi still has the same "boyfriend" and some days she tells me they are just friends and other days she tells me that she is going to marry him. Today in fact on the way home from school she told me that she was going to marry him and I told her that she couldn't get married until she was about 25 and she wouldn't be in Australia then so she couldn't marry him. She told me that she would just move back.

Well this boy just got back from a trip to California and he brought her a necklace. Madi decided that she would give him a thank you card. Tonight she started on the card and started it with the words "I love you! Thank you for the butiful neclice." I told her that she probably should write something else because the words I love you are special words and they should be only told to family and the boy she will marry someday. Now I know realistically she will probably not wait to say those words to the boy she marries someday, but that was the way I came up with to explain it to her. I told her that telling him thank you was fine and that maybe she should say that she was glad that he was her friend. Let's just say we had a blow up. She yelled at me and told me that I ruined her card because she had to start over. I tried to explain and she was so mad that it went no where. She slammed her door and started crying.

Later, when the dust had settled, Madi and I had a great conversation while doing the dishes. I asked her if she understood what I was trying to tell her and if she had any questions. We talked it through and I think that she understood by the end of the night. She finally finished her card which reads, "Your my best frind. thank you for the best necklace and the wundrfl necklace." She drew a picture of the two of them playing under a rainbow.

I am just not sure how to deal with her. I know that it is all innocent at this point and I am trying not to make a big deal out of it. However, I also think that she needs to know the importance of certain things, and I thought it a good opportunity to teach her about those three words "I love you".

Any suggestions? Is this a sign of things to come? Is she always going to have to have a boyfriend? Am I going to survive all of this?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you handled it pretty well. I don't have much advice n the matter. Abby is too young for that (although she does have a toddler sized crush on Jesse Ahotaeiloa) My only experience is with my boys and they ae so much easier to deal with. I have them trained to tell the girls "You can't be my girlfriend until after my mission." We'll see how long it lasts. :P Hang in there. It sounds like you are handling it well.

Janae said...

I think you did a good job. I have absolutely no advice for you. I really just hope my kids are a tad nerdy and then we won't have to deal with it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, like mom, like daughter. I only hope that you can continue to communicate. The angry outbursts sure brings back memories for me, but the hours of conversation trying to resolve the issues brings a bit of emotion and a touch of tears. Thanks for the good times and the bad, I love you. Mom

Dera said...

Well just to let you know, in about a year maybe two boys and girls will have cooties. Then you most likely won't have to worry about it until about 5th or 6th grade. After that I told my kids what the prophet told us in the Strength of the Youth pamphlet about not singling people out. Avery and Chelsea still do, but they tell me about it because I didn't forbid them from doing that. I thought it was better to know what they were doing then having then hide it behind my back. You still have to have great conversations with them like you did and if you do they will trust you and talk to you about other things that are bothering them.

Cherish said...

Fun times! Daniel asked me if he could kiss Macklyn Call! I told him he could when he got home from his mission. You are doing great!

Carli said...

Oh my goodness - she is soooo funny!