Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I'm a wimp!!!!


Yes, this is me! When we came to Australia I kept saying that we could cut costs by me riding my bike to the train station every day. Well, after doing it for almost 9 months I have given in.
Stace and I talked about the pros/cons of getting a small used car or a scooter. If you haven't guessed from the pictures the scooter won out. It is cheaper and we wouldn't have to worry about buying someone elses problems.

So I started researching what had to be done to get my license and here is the process:
1) Take a two day training course (3.5 hrs each) on the basics of riding
2) Knowledge test (45 questions and you can only miss 2 knowledge and 1 safety)
3) Get your learners permit (You must display a big "L" plate on your bike (80 k/hr limit)
4) After three months (and before 12 months) take another training / driving test
5) Get your "P (90)" plate that means you can't go more than 90 k/hr for one year
6) Get your "P (100)" plate - can you guess what that means - for one year

As you can probably guess I have now completed 1 - 3 and now have my "L" plate and will be practicing. The other law is that a new motorcycle driver can not have a passanger ride with them for a year. The kids don't like this one very much.

So now that I have my scooter I have to practice. Tomorrow will be the first day that I get to ride my scooter to the train station and the big question is where will I be able to park? I am going to try and park next to one of the bike stand and see what happens. I have seen another person park their motorcycle there so it shouldn't be a problem.

I did get to ride my bike around today and also rode it to soccer practice. I have to admit that it is really fun. It has reminded me to the time that Kev Worwood and I went to Hawaii, rented scooters for an afternoon, and just drove around the hills of Hawaii! It was tons of fun. Stace calls it my 'Boy Toy' so I guess I will just have to let it live up to it's image. (However, at soccer some of them did make fun of me and tell me that it should be red so I can go and deliver mail as the mail people drive red scooters! Ha ha ha...)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new purchase! That does bring back the memories of Hawaii! I'm glad to see you are wearing a helmet. I have worked with kids that haven't worn helmets and it hasn't been good. Besides you don't need another snowboarding-like incident... :)

Lisha said...

Welcome to the world of two wheels.......stay upright, keep the rubber side down (typical motorbike lingo)! Hey when's Stacy getting hers so we can go on rides together?

sirpa said...

Don't worry about the parking kevin, your in Australia now, remember? No worries :-) I remember my parking problems in Manly when I was still very new in the land of Oz. I saw my collague park on the lawn and was stunned. I asked her if it's allowed and she just shrugged and said: "you gotta park somewhere". That was motto in Oz ever since :D