Monday, May 5, 2008

Missionary moment...

Madi amazes me everyday with her ideas and her independence. Sometimes this causes us to butt heads, but yesterday I was so proud of her. After getting home from Church and starting some lunch before a little rest, a knock came at the door. It was the twins that live across the street whom Madi has become good friends with. We have invited this family over for FHE on one occasion and we have had dinner with them several times at their house and at ours. They know what religion we are and have even asked questions.
'

Well the twins have a birthday coming up and were on an errand to give Madi an invitation to their party. Unfortunately it is on a Sunday. This is always a heart breaking thing for me. Never before moving to Australia did I have to worry about a birthday party on a Sunday. Madi has been invited to several parties from school mates where she hasn't been able to go. However, Kevin and I talked about it and decided that we could make an exception due to the good friendship that is there. The party starts while we are at Church though so that is another problem. We talked to Maid and told her that she could attend the last bit of the party after she went to Church that day. That seemed like a good compromise for all of us.
'
About an hour later Madi came out of her room and asked me if she could give something to the twins. I asked her what it was and was so touched by her answer. She had written them a note to tell them that she could come to their party at the end after she went to Church. This wasn't the part that touched me. She had gotten together a missionary pamphlet about Christ (she loves to collect stuff like this and look at it during sacrament meeting), two pass along cards with Christ's picture on them, and two article of faith cards. She said that she just needed a Book of Mormon to give them as well. (Kev happens to carry one of these in his backpack due to his own missionary moments he has had on the train.) She walked over to their house to give them her special package.
'
When she returned I asked her what she told them about the Book of Mormon. She said that it was a special book that Jesus loved and that she loved it too. What a special moment that was. My little daughter is so precious to me. It made me realize that I have taught her something and she knows how important the Gospel is to us.
'
Earlier that day during sacrament meeting she asked if she could go up and bare her testimony. Of course I told her, but she had to do it herself. I have always thought that my kids should be able to go up by themselves and know what a testimony is instead of what I whisper in their ear. She decided that this was too scary to do. However, she told me what she would say. It was so sweet and simple, yet so amazing to me. I love to see the first buddings of a testimony growing in my children. Elder Bednar told us a few months ago when he came to Australia to visit that your willingness to share the gospel with others shows the strength of your testimony at this particular time. How are we all doing with sharing the gospel with others?

8 comments:

Cherish said...

You are awesome Madi. You need a missionary tag and to go on splits with the missionaries. Good job Mom and Dad for teaching her so well!

Carli said...

Good on you Madi, that is such a great story. What a good example she is to us!

Mari said...

Well done, Madi! What a great example you are showing us!

Lisha said...

Good girl Madi, and fantastic for following your parents examples too! Kevin & Stacy you must be doing something right!

Brittney said...

I'm sitting here with big welled up tears in my eyes. You're doing something right!! :)

Amy said...

Wow! What a great opportunity you have to share the gospel over there! Madi, you are a great example to me and I'm going to be a better missionary because of you. Thank you!

sirpa said...

Wow, good on you Madi! The b-day parties on sunday was a hearbreaking moment for me too. After all, Adiel didn't get too many invitation while we were there at it made him sad. He only got two invitations and one of them was on a Sunday. I had thought in my mind that maybe he could go anyway, but when I told him that the party was on a Sunday he just looked a bit disappointed and said: "oh well, if it's on a Sunday I won't go". I was stunned.

Unknown said...

That is just awesome! Way to go Madi.