Thursday, September 11, 2008

REMEMBERING


Today is a day to look back and remember 7 years ago. I can remember getting a phone call from Kevin. I was still in bed with a month old little Madi trying to catch up on some sleep when the phone rang. All he said was, "Have you seen the news today?" I turned on the TV just to see the second plane hit the tower. I remember the shock I felt and how I was glued to the TV all day. It didn't seem real and I couldn't imagine someone making the choice to kill innocent people that way. I remember for the first time thinking how vulnerable we all are. How our little world isn't as safe and secure as I had thought. How things can change literally in a second. As things unraveled and I realized the impact of what had happened that day I held tight to my little baby and pondered many things. I realized that people make bad choices and people make good choices. That although many, many, many families lost a loved one there were also so many heroes amongst us. People who ran into the burning buildings while others were running out. People who overtook the hijackers and died in a plane crash, but saved the lives of so many other. People who grabbed their emergency gear and headed to New York from all over the country. So many people thinking of others instead of themselves.
Yesterday I told Madi about what today means. I explained to her what had happened and she had the look of shock and surprise on her face. We talked about how people make bad choices and they aren't following the plan of the Savior. She said to me, "They were following Satan, and if Satan ever tells me to do something bad to someone else I will know to say no way!"
I will never forget the morning of September 11, 2001. I will never forget where I was and what I was doing. I will never forget how I felt that day. I will never forget the images ingrained into my brain from that day, and the days that followed. I will never forget the bonding that seemed to occur in our great country. I will never forget that life is precious and can change in seconds. I will never forget the heroes that emerged from that day and that there are heroes all around us. May we all remember!

10 comments:

sirpa said...

I didn't realise the date until this afternoon. And when I did, I instantly remembered that day. I was still pregnant with Adiel. I was talking to Teemu while I turned on the TV to watch the news, but wasn't really paying attention to the news until I heard the words attack and United States. I thought I must not have heard right. And after that I was glued to the TV for the whole evening 9:00am NY time was in the afternoon in Finland and around the time I turned on the TV so I too watched the second plane hit and the towers come down and was astonished and trying to believe that I was watching the news and not the Independence Day 3 or something...

Luvnbnamom said...

I remember I was at work when I heard about the 1st plane hitting. Everyone ran down into the lunch room and watched as the 2nd plane hit! It was so scary! I remember they sent us home early, and I just watched and cried all day! I will never forget that day! I always take the kids down to see the flags in sandy. Its a beautiful memorial!

Brooklyn said...

wow my mom found a picture like that online she was sad about it.

Brooklyn said...

so so so so so so so so sad!!!!!

Luvnbnamom said...

Okay, I am so sorry! Too funny seeing how computer davy my kids are! lol

Carli said...

Seeing those images still makes me feel horrified. Something so unimaginable and so devastating.

mintifresh said...

I almost can't think it about it because it was such an awful day and weeks to come! I love how you focused on the heroes and how our country came together to help in so many ways. I am so sorry for all those who lost someone that day! I was pregnant with Audrey and wondered how I could bring her into this scary world but seeing the humanity of all those people you sacrificed so much to help made me realize there so so much more good in the world!

mintifresh said...

that's "who sacrificed" not you. Proofread, Mindi, proofread!!

Lisha said...

It's not something that I want to remember, but it's still vivid in my mind. I was just pregnant with Ethan, and I thought the world was coming to an end. I didn't want to bring a child up in a world like that. I cried all day and tried to protect Sam from watching it all unravel on the tv. My sister was delayed on her Egypt Air flight from Thailand and I was worried sick, Disney closed down as it was an American company and possibly a terrorist target.......a terrible, terrible thing to do. Why??Why??Why???

Suzi said...

We were in France at the time and found out from a french newspaper (a day old) that we tried to decipher.
We didn't see any footage until the year after and it only really struck me then.. everything was crazy at the airports.