Wednesday, September 2, 2009

BOOK REVIEWS

I started this book in early July, but just finished it a week ago. Not because it wasn't a good book, but because I had company for much of that time. I found this book fascinating. It is historical fiction about a time in the history of Australia when they had immigrants come here to work. The government realized when the Japanese attacked that they didn't have enough people to defend their country. They figured if they let immigrants come and work for two years, they would stay, and their country would grow by leaps and bounds. This is a story about a girl who is originally from Russia and how she finally found a life in Australia. When we went up to the Central Coast and met the Barrs they both had immigrated to Australia during the time that this book speaks about. It was fascinating to talk to them about their experiences and how similar they were to the events that took place in this book. I have read three other books by this author and they are all really good - historical fiction about events in Australia.

I saw this book in the book shop and read about it. I knew that I wanted to read it, but it sat on my shelf for several months collecting dust. Then I saw the preview for the movie. I decided that I better read the book before I go to see the movie. I was not disappointed. It is a powerful story of family dynamics and how we affect people with even choice we make.

I have had my nose buried in this book for the past two days. A friend of mine at Church on Sunday asked me if I was currently reading a book. I told her yes but I was almost done. She gave me this book to read. (She does this often and I love it!) I finished my other book and immediately started this one. I have always had a fascination with the polygamist culture and especially with those who live in Colorado City and belong to the FLDS Church. This is an account of a woman who was brave enough to take her children and escape that life style. The FLDS Church broke off from the LDS Church (or the Mormons as we are often called) when they stopped practicing polygamy. This group still wanted to continue the practice of polygamy so they moved away and broke off from the main LDS group. I found it very interesting to see how many of the beliefs they have carried over from the LDS Church. My heart breaks for those living in this group and the abuse that they go through daily both emotional and physical. This book literally took me a little over 24 hours to read. I have actually heard Carolyn Jessop's story before, but it struck me the strength that we all have within us. We can do handle more than we ever thought possible.

3 comments:

Mari said...

"Escape" sounds like a good read!
Thanks for your recommendations!

Janae said...

I have read Escape. I could barely put it down. Good read! I also read another FLDS book called Stolen Innocence. It is about the girl that brought Warren Jeffs to justice.

Now I want to read the other too. Off to reserve them at the library!

mintifresh said...

I loved "My Sister's Keeper". It was so intense! I almost don't want to see the movie because I am sure it will be so different from the book. So good!

I will have to check out those other 2. I love historical fiction and "Escape" sounds intriguing.