Sunday, October 14, 2007

Bogong Moths - It's Party Time!

Hello everyone! It's Kev and I thought I would share with you a little of the fun that we have been having around Sydney. It has basically been party time for the Bogong moths. They are currently in migration to southern New South Wales and they apparently get attracted to the lights of Sydney and stop by for a visit. If you want to read more about them here is a link.


Anyway, here is a picture of one of them. I had just sat down to start typing this and Stacy said, "There's another moth! Looks like another job for you!" Can you tell who doesn't like them? I was just going to try and find a picture of them for you but I just took advantage of the opportunity and got one of the latest to find it's way into our house.



I also wanted to share another picture with you. Even though we have only had maybe 3 to 5 a night that manage to make it into our house other places have it much worse. My work, for example, is a great party hang out for the moths to enjoy their time in Sydney. And no, I am not talking about just walking to and from my work, in which I also walk by many hang out spots.

The first time I saw a moth by my desk -- being the naive new comer that I am -- I said to my coworker, "I wonder how this moth got in here?" He replied by saying, "That's nothing, just wait!" I was a little confused until I walked in one day the next week and took this picture with my cell phone.

The picture doesn't do it justice! There are easily over 50 moths just in this picture. They even popped the light out! This just the corner and they are literally everywhere on our floor (keep in mind I am on the 15th floor). I also found out that this is the day after the 'man with the vacuum' came by and sucked them all up so they said it was worse!

It is amazing to me how people have become so accustomed to them that they just ignore them. You can be riding up the elevator with a couple flying around and people don't even flinch. I have even shared a train ride with many that have decided to take the party elsewhere! I have been sitting at my desk and been smacked in the head a couple of times by a wayward moth. They say it shouldn't last much longer but, as I said at the beginning of this, we are still catching them and throwing them outside at our house! Mom, if you are reading this you may want to take note that you don't want to come visit during this time and I am sure you (of everyone) would not like it!

1 comment:

Jones Fam said...

UUGGGGHHHH! Don't send them our way!