Monday, October 22, 2007

Kev's Soccer Fix!

For those of you that didn't know my work has a soccer league that plays department against department once a year. The league started sometime before I got here. (I played my first game when I came for my first visit back in July.)


Here are the uniforms that we wore. I only wish I could include a scratch and sniff on your computer because it still hasn't been washed since our last -- and final -- game last Friday. Whoooiiieeee - It is bad! It almost wasn't worth the picture!

We had a pretty good team, but as with any work team there are always times during the season where people can't make it to the games. They were usually played at 8AM on Friday mornings.

We play at an indoor sports center that is really close to our work (It is also right next to Hyde Park). It is a completely different game than I have ever played before. We played on a basketball court with the goals set up at each end. The ball... well, how do I describe it? It is basically a tennis ball the size of a soccer ball. It is the same texture as a tennis ball and bounces the same way (very very bouncy). I have a similar picture at the end of this post. Just imagine that the words have been worn off the ball and that is what we played with.

Anyway, we somehow managed to squeak into the last spot of the top 5 teams that made it to the finals. After that it was single elimination for us (some of the top teams had a chance to lose once and still go on). We ended up beating the 4th place team and the 3rd place team but then it happended. The two people that play goalie for our team couldn't make it to that game. We had to try and do it with out them. Well, if this tells you anything they put me in as goalie for the 2nd half! For those of you that AREN'T LAUGHING right now you should know that you should be laughing!!!! I am not a goalie! and never will be! At least I got to score one of the three goals we did score in the first half. The game ended at something like 9 -3 (bad guys!).

It was fun though and I really enjoyed playing. Now I just have to concentrate on my basketball team. We play ever Tuesday night. I am on a team from my ward. Four of the teams in the league are LDS teams so it makes it fun to play them. Again, like in soccer I am not that great but I enjoy playing!


3 comments:

Travis said...

Playing on a court isn't that great, most of the leagues I played in growing up thats what we did. At least they put up some rounded walls in the corners of the gym though, so it was just a big box, do they do that for you guys? Back here volley ball is just ending. The last stake games were last week, so all that is left is region. We should do well, I hope.
Travis

Anonymous said...

Sounds a bit like indoor soccer to me. Even the ball. Sounds like you had fun, and I'll bet you even did a super job as goalie. Just hope you didn't lie down on the ground and pout.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. I guess you have to take it however it comes. The ball looks like a giant tennis ball. Sounds like it is that bouncy too.

Dera