Sunday, October 14, 2007

GENERAL CONFERENCE

Well, we finally got to see General Conference this weekend. We went to the Stake Center, about 20 minutes away, to watch all of the sessions. We could have downloaded them from the web, but we have limited download and upload capabilities on our package so we decided just to go and watch them via satellite.

People told us that we would be surprised by the numbers in attendance and we were. The first session started at 1:15 on Saturday. We pulled into the parking lot at 1:10 and there were only half a dozen cars there. We wondered if we were in the right place. We watched two sessions of conference with only a 15 minute break in between. The kids did great - but they had enough with about an hour to go. Kev let them go play in a classroom while he listened in the foyer.

Kev them drove us home and headed right back for the priesthood session. There was only a 30 minute break so he was a little late.

Sunday morning there was a greater number of people there. We had to sit in the multipurpose room. There was an hour break in between sessions so we had a picnic lunch on the front lawn. Sunday afternoon was less attended so we got "soft seats" for the last session.

I always love to listen to conference, but I have to admit that by the end I am glad to get up and move around. It is so hard to concentrate that long and to tell my kids to be quiet over and over and over again. However, I would never miss it. I love to "listen to a prophets voice." It is so nice to receive guidance for my life and to receive answers to prayers.

Kev said that he actually likes going to the Stake Center to watch Conference. He said that he got more out of this Conference than he has in a long time. It is true, you stay awake much better when you are sitting in the chapel. However, I was reminded of the conveniences Utah has to offer. I don't think I will take those for grated every again (at least I will try not to). I do love getting up and having a nice breakfast and watching Conference in my comfy clothes while I scrapbook.

I was reminded that we have to stand up for what we believe in. That we are Christians in every meaning of the word and that we should not be afraid to share that with others. I also was reminded personally of something someone told me a while ago. We go to church with our young children to show them how important it is. We don't always get to hear everything that is spoken and we may spend a lot of time out in the halls, but they need to know that we know it is important to attend all of our meetings.

I can't wait until the Ensign comes out so I can study the talks further! I love the Gospel and am so glad that it is part of my life!!!

No comments: