Monday, October 22, 2007

GOING GREEN

One thing I love about Australia is how conscious of the environment most people are. They are simply "going green" in their every day lives! As we all know our planet is suffering and there are simple things we can each do to help out - at least a little bit.
Some ways that we help the environment at the Hutchinson household are:

1. Recycle, recycle, recycle. I loved it when we moved to WJ and they had a recycling program, and they have a great one here in Epping as well.

2. Turn off the lights when you are not using them. Cooper is having a hard time with this one

3. Try walking or taking public transport.

4. Use the sun to dry your clothes when possible - this is a bit of a pain, but it is good for the earth

5. Try taking shorter showers - I have heard you should not use really hot water, but that is my downfall. I love a really hot shower!

6. Use cloth bags when you go shopping. This is my favorite. Most people here do this. You can buy the bags for about $1 at the store and then you bring them with you every time and fill them up. I love it!! I wish they made it cheaper to buy cloth bags back home - I think more people would do it. I think someone should pitch the idea to Wal-mart - they would save money on plastic bags. If you don't use cloth bags remember to recycle your plastic ones.

We can all do our part to save the environment. We just have to be conscious about what we do and maybe change a few small, simple things. Try one of the things listed above, or one of your own, to incorporate into your life. Help save our planet! Everyone can do something to help!!

Tell me what you think, or give me some more ideas that we can do to "go green".

2 comments:

Travis said...

Don't take more napkins that you need at restaurants, use those funky light bulbs, although I don't think they last as long as they advertise. Those are a couple more suggestions.
Travis

Anonymous said...

I love the bags. Maybe you could send us some. We are the proud owners of 2 garbage cans one for recycling and one for garbage. We are still learning about which goes in which can. Mom