Thursday, November 1, 2007

HALLOWEEN AUSSIE STYLE :)

We had a witch, ghost, and fairy princess at our house for Halloween this year!! There really wasn't many choices in the stores (maybe an end cap with costumes instead of rows and rows.)

Originally I had planned just to have a little party at home with the kids to celebrate Halloween and I was a little bummed by that because I love Halloween and it just didn't seem the same. Not many kids here trick-or-treat. It is getting bigger they say, but not nearly as big as in the States. However, a friend of mine from the ward planned an impromptu trunk-or-treat (the day before literally) and it was so much fun. There were only 10 cars there - but not bad for the short notice. A few people kept saying what a great idea this was and we told them that we do them back home and explained how big they get - they were amazed. The kids loved it and it made Halloween more like back home!! The nice thing about having less cars is you have less candy to take back home with you and less to ration out for months and months. However, with less kids they get more lollies at each car than the normal one, maybe two, at each stop. I told Kev that next year he needs to plan a Elder's Quorum/ward Halloween party. It would be a blast and I could get my Halloween fix!! I also think that I will plan a party next year for the kids - the Jones' did this in Adelaide and I am going to steal their idea next year.

Here are some pictures that I love of our kids in their costumes:


THE WITCH
Madi's friend Antoi from church - she didn't know what she was



THE GHOSTCooper's friend Jocelyn from church - she was Shrek.



THE FAIRY PRINCESS

I have been feeling a bit homesick about Halloween and fall in Utah - but Halloween turned out better than I had anticipated!! Next year will be even better. I miss seeing all of my nieces and nephews in their costumes, the trunk-or-treat at mom's church (100's of cars - okay that may be an exaggeration), my Halloween party, and sloppy Joes and homemade rootbeer (mom, I still need your recipe) but all in all it wasn't bad. I will just be more excited when I get those things again!! I left all of my decorations back home though, and I am kicking myself. I really should have brought them with me -oh well, nothing I can do about that now.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!! EAT SOME SNACK SIZED CANDY BARS FOR ME (BUTTERFINGER AND SNICKERS ARE MY FAVORITE). We would love to hear about Halloween back home - let us know your costumes and you activities for the big night!

5 comments:

Travis said...

I'm sure Janae will have pictures up soon, we had Mini Mouse and a little caterpillar at our house. The ward stopped doing trunk-or-treat though, I guess some of the older people in the ward had a hard time coming to the church and wanted to see the kids come to their houses instead. It sounds like it might be done away with all together, but we'll see.

We had trick-or-treating at work so Paisley got tons of candy here, then we just hit a few houses on the street and headed over to Mom's for the rest of the night.

Anonymous said...

I bought some treats, with the intent of sending them to you, but it didn't happen. We had a great Halloween, and we missed you. Sloppy joes and the works the kids trick-or-treated in our neighborhood this year. Was fun. Mom

Anonymous said...

Madi , you make such a cute witch! Cooper, you are the scariest ghost ever! We are all glad you had such a good Halloween!

Travis said...

Don't worry I have eaten plenty enough candy for you. I should stop. Glad you had a fun Halloween!
Janae

Mari said...

I love that last photo of Rylee!
Great costumes all around, actually...
Glad you were able to do Halloween even in a scaled down fashion.