Friday, September 28, 2007

a looking into the life of little COOPER

Last week Cooper and Madi were coloring pictures on paper by Kev, who was on the computer. Cooper asked if he could get a pen out of the kitchen drawer and Kev told him that would be fine. A few minutes later from the living room, where I was relaxing in peace and quite, I hear "NO COOPER!!!" Apparently instead of getting a pen out of the drawer Cooper got a blue permanent marker. He had done really well to only color on the paper, but it had leaked through onto the tile floor. Kev quickly picked it up off of the floor - the whole time Cooper is repeating over and over again "I'm sorry dad!" - and places it on the table where the permanent marker continues to bleed through the paper while Cooper scrubs the floor. Remember that we are only renting both the house and the table. This is a picture of the table after being cleaned and the floor after being cleaned. It is mostly gone off of the floor, but the table is a sad site. We are curious to see what they say, and if they charge us, when they come to pick up the table. Poor Cooper, he was just trying to make a masterpiece on paper!!



Everyday now for a week and a half I have heard these exact words come out of Cooper's mouth, "Mom, I really want my trains to come. When is the boat getting here?" Yes, that is right, we still don't have our stuff. Who knew that it would take this long? It is going to be like Christmas when we finally open up all of our boxes and see the things that have been packed away for five months.

Cooper has had a hard time sleeping in since we moved into the house. We are not sure what the culprit is, but we blame it on the sun coming up earlier here and the birds singing good morning. He gets up before Kev has left for work most mornings and then is so tired by the afternoon that he is ornery. On Wednesday night Cooper had hit his limit. He lied to Kev about something, and so Kev told him that he was going to go to be without stories. You should have seen the tantrum that insued after this. I have never seen Cooper act this way. He couldn't stop crying and he was so worried about missing out on something. I even threatened to take away his Thomas trains if he didn't stop crying and just go to bed. He still continued to cry and express his concerns about "missing out on stuff". After an hour of this I finally got into bed with him and we had a "cuddle" (that is what the Aussies call it). I told him that we weren't going to talk and I would sing him a song. He said that he couldn't close his eyes they would just stay opened even when the lights went out. Within minutes he was sound asleep. Poor kid!

Also, whenever he gets into trouble these days he says "Gosh! Everybody just hates me!" Any suggestions as to what I can say to this - I really want it to stop!

9 comments:

Kevin said...

Just to clarify (this is Kev) - I got a normal pen for Cooper out of the drawer. He was watching me get the pen and must have seen the permanent marker at the time. The he sneaked back after I was 'focused' on the computer and got the permanent marker without me knowing it.

Also, when Stace said, "Kev told him that he was going to go to be without stories" she meant to say that he was going to go to BED wihtout stories. I was not lecturing him on some obscure teaching that he would not exist if stories did not exist! I just wanted to clarify because I know you would all be confused if I didn't say something!

Stacy said...

Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for clarifying.

Dera said...

Avery used to tell me that everybody hated him too. So I would just say I'm sorry that you feel that way, but we all love you. It didn't always seem to work, but it sometimes helps. Usually ignoring it makes it so he doesn't get attention from it. If Avery kept saying it over and over I would ignore it and he would have to stop because I wasn't listening. I bet he is still adjusting to moving and is just tired. If he has trouble with his trains I wonder if he is having a little anxiety.

Dera

Travis said...

We haven't had any experience with that in our house yet; however, sometimes when Paisley gets into bad moods it is usually because we don't spend enough time with her. When she gets like that if I take the time to play with her, or read her stories, or take her to the park, she is much happier. We especially have to think about that now that Regan is around and she doesn't get all of our attention.
Travis

Brandon and Julie said...

hey I think it just sounds a case of home sickness. It sounds like Cooper is nervous he may not see things that he is use to. i know I don't have kids, but I might act the same way, if I moved somewhere new and couldn't find the things i was use to and new that they had been packed to come with you. Hopefully when he gets his toys back he will make the adjustment a little better. He doesn't want to miss out on anything including what he use to have.

Unknown said...

I have had to remove permanent marker from my kitchen counter before, I put a little bleach on it and it came off. I bet it would work for the tile, but you might want to "test" it on the underside of the wood table before trying it there.

Unknown said...

Sounds like Cooper is feeling the middle child squeeze. Maddi gets to go to school which sounds very exciting when you are four. Rylee needs a lot of attention. He needs something special just for him. My mom use to give a special FHE about one of us, talking about how unique and special we were, our talents and how important we were in the family. Good luck. Your a great Mom, you'll figure it out.

Jones Fam said...

Don't have a comment for this one, but I just wanted to let you know that Lost is on in Australia. It doesn't start until January or February and then the season ends in July. You can buy the podcasts or Jessy knows the illegal sites (from co-workers) where you can get it in US time. (I am not that desperate...)

Stacy said...

Yeah!! I am so excited to see Lost!!! We love that show. I thought it would be big here since the flight leaves Sydney and all. :)