Monday, September 17, 2007

NEW APPLIANCES

Saturday we went out and bought all of our appliances. After talking to Jessy and Kelli we tried to find a second hand shop where they send the rented furniture to buy - but people didn't seem to know what we were talking about. We had spent a couple of Saturdays going around to garage sales (Sue, the GPS, has come in very handy) to see if we could find anything without any luck. Saturday there was one that said they had a fridge, washing machine, and microwave. The sale started at 8am so we got there shortly after that and they were already gone. Apparently, when the lady opened up the garage at 6am people were already there to wheel and deal - the appliances got snatched up fast. We did find a $10 vacuum at another house though - we were very happy about that. It is old, but it will do the job, and if not it was only$10!!
While we were out winding our way through the streets of Epping, with Sue as our guide, I heard an advertisement for a store called Good Guys and they were having a huge sale. People had already told us that we should try Good Guys because they barter a bit and the more you buy the lower they will go. So we typed in the address and off we went. We did find all that we were looking for and stayed below our budget (remember work has given us money to buy "white goods") so I got a new mixer.
I wasn't expecting to get one of these so I was very excited. I had been wondering how I was going to make cookies with a hand mixer.


We christened the machine later that night by making chocolate chip cookies (YUMMY!!)We had to look up on the Internet for a conversion to know how high to cook them and to convert the butter over from g to cups - but they turned out so good!! The cookies (biscuits) that I have had here are not the same as back home, they are a little hard. I don't have my recipes yet either, so Kev looked up one for me to make sure I knew what I was doing. I was excited to know that I have the recipe memorized -
apparently I make too many cookies! They are my favorite, especially the dough!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some things never change, only the kiddos. The beaters are always so great. Mom