Monday, April 5, 2010

ADDING A BIT OF COLOR!

This is the third Easter we have spent here in Australia.  Easters without new frilly, poofy dresses.  Easters without little kits to color your eggs.  Easters with a lot of memories.  I told Kev I can’t wait to get back home so I don’t have to do all the work to make our traditions happen.  When you do these things with family you get to share the work.

Saturday night we colored our eggs.  With no kit once again I used a vinegar and food coloring – works like a charm.  However, I always wonder if I should water down the vinegar and probably am supposed to – the colors come out really rich and lovely though.  We also get to dye brown eggs here – no white ones in site.  They are a bit harder to color, but you just leave them in the mug for longer and they are fine.  This year for the first time I used my coffee mugs (they actually got used for something and not just taking up room in my cupboard).  They worked so much better than bowls which I usually use. 

Rylee loved coloring eggs.  This is the first year she has really gotten to do it all by herself.  She has been asking me ever since if we can do it again.  Next year I tell her, next year.

Cooper still has colored fingers.  He just can’t help getting dirty I suppose. 

Madi was an old pro.  She loved mixing the colors and making her eggs two toned.  DSC_0006DSC_0056 DSC_0011 DSC_0016 DSC_0022 DSC_0029 DSC_0049 DSC_0050 DSC_0052

DSC_0054

1 comment:

Cindy Staley said...

You are so good! I don't know if I would make my own dye! You definitely need the little wire dippers to hold the egg :-) your such a good mom! how fun!