Friday, April 23, 2010

RELEASE...RELIEF

On Sunday I was released as the Primary president in the Normanhurst ward. (For those of you who are unfamiliar with our Church this is the organization for the children 18 months to 11 years old.) I have to admit that I have been praying to be released for a long time. I was worn out with all that Primary entails. I have been in a primary presidency for five years - that's a long time. I felt like I had nothing left to give. That I was just trying to "get by." I didn't get the release when I wanted too. I had to struggle to give 100% for months and months. I learned through this that the Lord has a plan for each of us. He knows our concerns and our trials. He still needs us to serve those around us. Sometimes you don't realize what you do to strengthen those around you.

Knowing that we were leaving it wasn't too big of a shock that I was extended a release. Of course I can't be the president while in Utah...LOL! Sharing time via Skype probably wouldn't work so swell. What was shocking to me was how sad I felt when the release finally came. I will miss hearing the primary songs each week in Sunday. Hearing all the funny things the kids have to say. Mostly I will miss the sweet spirit that is found only in Primary.

I know that Heavenly Father loves the primary children all around the world. They are the future. They have so much to give. They need to be strong to survive in the world around them. He knows who they are. He wants them to succeed. I feel honored to have had a small part in that.

I also felt relief - I will have to admit. Relief to not have to worry about Primary while trying to pack up to move internationally. I was supposed to do sharing time this week - so glad I don't have to figure out how to fit that in. Maybe I will have a Sunday without a headache to take home with me...LOL!

I ventured into Relief Society (the womens organization of our Church) for just a little bit. I felt a bit out of place among all those women. I haven't been to Relief Society consistently since Cooper was born - young womens and then primary took me away. I found myself having a hard time paying attention. Not because the lesson wasn't good. There were no pictures to color. No one who needed to go to the toilet. No music with actions - I needed to stand up singing while jumping on one foot and turning in circles. I think that my attention span needs to increase. Apparently I have lost some of it. How long does it take to build it back up?

We will see how it goes this Sunday when I don't have to go down to the dungeon. Will I feel relief or will I feel sad when I don't have to go up and down those stairs over and over again. I will miss Primary. I am sure I will have a stint there again sometime. Hopefully not too soon - apparently I need some time to build back up my attention span. It is dreadfully lacking at the moment.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Those Primary kids were lucky to have you! I have the same attention span problem during Relief Society. I guess that's what happens when you have kids that don't let you listen to the lesson, then callings that pull you other places.

Krista S said...

I totally get what you're saying about going back to RS. I know it will be that way for me too if/when I get to go!! I've gone from primary to YW's and haven't been in a RS lesson for like 4 years. I'm sure it will feel normal soon!!

Brandon and Julie said...

You were great in primary I know it, you do your best no matter what. I don't have an attention span for RS anymore, Claire took that from me and now that she is in nursery I dont' know what to do with myself. I feel like I need to be reading a story coloring a picture or something else. Paying attention to the lesson seems too much after not hearing a lot of it for so long.