Saturday, December 29, 2007

"ONE YEAR OLDER AND WISER TOO!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY (*CLAP*) TO YOU!!"

I have always had issues with my birthday - not the best time of the year to have a child for those of you planning that sort of thing. When I was a kid my friends would give me one cheap gift (you know the kind your mom lets you pick out for your friends in elementary school and jr. high - she is paying so it can't be much) and say "This is for Christmas and your birthday." I always hated it because they got two cheap gifts from me for both occasions. My mom always tried hard to make it my special day. I got to pick my favorite meal for dinner, the presents were usually wrapped in birthday wrapping paper and not Christmas wrapping paper, etc. Still, I have always wished my birthday were another time of the year - without Christmas and New Years right around the same time and without cold weather and snow.


Kev has always known this and has tried really hard to make it a special day. This year was no exception, and I have to say that this is probablly the most memorable birthday ever!!! First the day started off with presents. Kev and the kids gave me a wild bird feeder - so I can see the birds all the time - and an opal necklace. Kev had told me the night before that he spent a lot more than he usually does on my presents, and now I know why. For those of you who don't know opals are a precious stone and are found in Australia. When we first found out we were going to Australia for work I told Kev that some day I wanted an opal. Of course, I thought that would be at the end of our stay and not the beginning. I was so shocked. This is the most expensive jewlery I own - except my wedding ring. So that you don't think he bought me a huge stone I am placing the picture of me wearing it so you can get some perspective. I don't care how big it is, I still love it!! Kev really isn't sentimental and doesn't always think hard on his gifts, so the fact that he really worked hard to get this one and spent his hard earned money (this really is a big deal - he is cheap after all) means the world to me!!
Then we got ready to go to the beach. When can I ever say that I have gone to the beach on my birthday at the end of December? Probablly never again (next year it will fall on a Sunday). I had asked Cooper and Madi a few days ago if they would come to my birthday party at the beach - of course they said yes. Cooper then told me that they are in my family so they always go to my birthday party and don't have to be asked.
The next beach on our list was Avalon Beach (there are seriously about 15 beaches within a hours drive - we are just checking them all out). It was a really warm day - perfect for sitting by the ocean and getting covered in sand. The kids of course love the beach so it is fun to take them there - are we considered beach bums yet?
Kev got a skim board so he was trying it out and fell quite a few times, and got a few bruises to show for his hard work. He did better than I would have.


Madi is loving the boogie board. She wants to go out all the time and ride the waves. She is actually pretty brave. She got toppled today by a few big waves and still got back up to do it again. She is just like a little fish!






Cooper is a funny little man. Up until now he won't even go near the water - except to wash the sand off of his hands. Today he was running in the surf and having the time of his life. He also dug another huge hole and I buried him and Madi in it.


Rylee got a swimming suit from Santa so today was the first trial run. She really does like the water and the sand (yuck - it ends up everywhere). She still spends quite a bit of time in our little tent - Kev and I were wondering today what happens when she gets mobile (she is so close to crawling). She gets so tired and usually won't got to sleep no matter what we try. Today Kev worked his magic and she took a half hour nap in the tent. She is so cute!! (Notice the sand all over her face)



We took another walk on the rocks and I found my own birthday present - some huge shells that you can actually hear the ocean in. They were wedged in between some huge bolders and rocks and I had to work my magic to get them out. (Really, you should have seen me moving rocks and digging in the dirt to get these sea shells.) I was like a kid in a candy store. I was so super excited!! They will be so great in my collection to come home and display.
We then came home after about five hours, got cleaned up, and had a BBQ for dinner (Kev and I gave each other a BBQ for Christmas). Yes, a BBQ for my birthday in December!!! I had steak for dinner on the BBQ!! This is killing me - if you couldn't tell. I love it!! No snow and I have my birthday in the summer just like I always wanted. I used to ask my mom if we could celebrate my half birthday in June so I could have a warm birthday and a fun, outside party with my friends. She always told me that she would do it if I wanted her to, but we wouldn't celebrate my real birthday too (that didn't seem right to me not to celebrate the day I was actually born - so I never took her up on that). In Australia I don't have to change the date and I get my birthday in the summer!! (At least for the next three years - then it is back to the snow and freezing temps). It doesn't change the fact that it is in between Christmas and New Years, but I can live with that.
It was a great day and a wonderful birthday!! I think I will remember this one forever!! Thanks Kev, Madi, Cooper, and Rylee for making my day super swell!!!

5 comments:

Carli said...

They did spoil you!! I'm so glad you're day was glorious :)

Brandon and Julie said...

Well it seems like you had a great day and that you got your two seperate days. Yahoo!!! I was going to post on all of your posts, but that would take a while seeing as I have been off for a while. So here is goes for all of them. you are BEACH BUMS and I love it and want to be at the beach with you, all though our christmas was warm as well, your was warmer. Love ya tons,

Anonymous said...

Happy B-day Stace! Keep checking out those beaches so that you can take us to the best ones when we come visit you!

Travis said...

Happy b-day. BTW, Jesse Justet just got his mission call to Melbourne.

Travis

Suzi said...

I noticed your opal today, It's reeeeeally nice! I'm glad you had a lovely day.