Wednesday, December 26, 2007

OUR FIRST "GREEN" CHRISTMAS

I have to admit I was a little homesick for a "white" Christmas (which they actually got this year in Utah - a bit of a blizzard actually). I was not sure how I felt about Christmas away from family and friends and all the traditions and memories, and I didn't know about spending the entire day at home with no family to visit. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised at what a good day we had. Although, I still miss family and it wasn't the same without them.
I absolutely love Christmas with kids. I am not sure if it was as much fun before they came into our family. It is so fabulous to see the wonder and amazement in their eyes. They are so excited for everything and ask so many fun questions. We love doing our advent calendar and counting how many sleeps to Christmas. I love telling the story of Baby Jesus over and over again and every year having the kids remember more and more of the details. Now I enjoy watching them tell each other the story of Christ's birth using the "Little People" nativity set I bought several years ago. This year I would find Cooper showing Rylee the pieces and telling her who they all were. It makes me feel so good inside. I love moments like that, when as a mother you see what you are teaching your children is actually sinking in.
This year the kids didn't really have anything "special" that they wanted Santa to bring them. Madi told Santa when she sat on his lap that he could bring her anything he wanted, but she did want to start losing her teeth. Cooper wanted more trains - of course. At our house Santa brings three gifts - to represent the gifts the Wise Men brought to Baby Jesus. He brings a "gold" gift representing something really wanted, a "myrrh" gift representing something needed, and a "frankincense" gift representing something to learn and grow. (They aren't always just one gift - i.e. an outfit or several books that go together.) This is to help us remember why we really are celebrating Christmas. Santa also stuffs our stockings as full as possible with fun little goodies - with an apple and orange always in the toe. MADI'S

COOPER'S

RYLEE'S

This year, due to the beach trip the day before, the kids were worn out and didn't wake up. We had told them the night before that they had to wait in their rooms for us to come and get them. In all of our previous houses our rooms have always been across the hall and in the same part of the house, but in this house the master bedroom is at the front of the house and the kid's bedrooms are at the back. In order to get to our room they have to go past the living room - which is where the stockings were placed. Normally, the kids come into our room on Christmas morning and we wait until everyone is up to go and see what Santa brought. So this year we told them to wait in their rooms until we came to get them. Finally at 8am, after Rylee had been up for a while and was fed and happy, we went in to wake them up. Cooper was so funny. Upon waking up from a deep sleep said to me, "Mommy, I was just waiting in my room for you to come and get me."

After seeing what Santa brought and playing for a while we opened all the presents under the tree. Thanks to all those back home who sent gifts. It was fun to see what was in all those packages that have been coming in the mail. We then got to spend a lazy day at home - this never happens for us on Christmas. Usually we open presents and have to get ready to go see the Coopers and the Hutchinsons for the rest of the day. That was actually quite nice. We figured out Madi's Tamagotchi Santa brought her (a little electronic animal you have to take care of), opened up more pet shops, built a huge train track (Cooper got more tracks, a turn table, a shed, and bridges plus more trains to put on the tracks), and even watched a couple of movies together. I will have to admit that this was really nice. Not the same without famiy to go visit, but nice to have a relaxing day.



I then got to make Christmas dinner all by myself this year (Kev helped a little). Usually I bring a side dish to lunch and dinner with family. However, in Australia this is not so bad. We just BBQ a few different meats, had fruit and veg, potatoes, and the equivelent of Jello salad. Kev had also invited the missionaries over for dinner. We figured that they would be just as homesick as us and would probablly like a little company. They were so sweet and brought gifts for Madi and Cooper. Madi got a book of pictures of Christ and they brought Cooper a little BYU football - good on ya!!! They played catch in the backyard with Cooper and Madi while Kev finished cooking the meat and then we had a good meal and great conversation.


So our first Christmas away from home was strange for several reasons - no family around and, although it was cooler in Sydney than normal, it was still 66 degrees outside. We did the best we could to make it a special day for the kids and I think we suceeded. I think I will always miss home and family - especially at times like this - but the web cam helps and it is only for a short amount of time. The true meaning of Christmas to me, besides the birth of the Savior, is family. I am so grateful to be a part of the family that I am, both the Coopers and Hutchinsons. I am so blessed to be part of such a wonderful group of people! Love you all with all my heart and half my liver!! Hope you had a great Christmas!

4 comments:

Mary & Jeff Bagley said...

Thank you for taking care of our son, Elder Bagley, on Christmas. We talked to him today (our Christmas day) and he said he enjoyed being at your home. We found your blog when he was transferred to your ward and we Googled the area and the Normanhurst ward. When he said he had dinner with an American family, it was fun to realize that it was with you. We were excited to see his picture today on your site.

Nice to know a wonderful family is watching out for our son when we are so far away. Merry Christmas. May the Lord bless you all.

Jeff & Mary Bagley

Stacy said...

No worries - it was our pleasure!

Carli said...

I've been enjoying reading about your Christmas traditions - like breakfast on Christmas Eve and PJ presents and three gifts as a symbol of the wise mens.

Jones Fam said...

i heard that you got a tamagatchi and i got one two.

and collin got one two.

and hunter got about ten books in a fire truck

bey and bsidse theis is savannah!