Friday, October 24, 2008

WE MADE IT!!!

After saying our goodbyes for another year, at least, we caught our plane and started our journey back to Australian soil to see the rest of our family.

I have to say that my trip home was well worth it and I totally enjoyed myself, but I was ready to go home and see my other kids and my husband. It wasn't the same without them and I missed their company very much. I did so much in the three weeks I was on holiday that my brain is still whirling, but it was so much fun as well. I do truly miss Utah and I can't wait to move back there and see family more often and the mountains every day.
Some of the things I miss:
1. Family - this is an obvious one!
2. The mountains - I think that I had taken them for granted living around them for so long. There were times when I would be driving down the road and see this beautiful view of the stunning mountains and I would be in awe. They are truly magnificent!
3. Friends - I truly have some awesome friends!
4. Rootbeer - I got my fill of that
5. Little Ceasars pizza - $5 pizza and crazy bread, yummo!
6. Cafe Rio - great mexian food!
7. Butterfinger and Baby's Ruth candy bars, Reese's pieces and peanut butter M&M's, and of course chocolate covered cinnamon bears
8. Customer service - I was in Target one day and not 10 minutes after walking into the store someone asked if they could help me find something. I was in shock! I had forgotten what costumer service really is.
9. Strawberry lemonade
10. Wendy's frosties and fries
11. Seeing temples and churches so often. Driving down Bangeter Highway I saw both the new temples being built and there are truly churches everywhere.
12. BYU football
13. Heather's delicious mint brownies - thanks again Heather!!
14. Wide streets and parking spaces
15. Peas straight out of the garden - can't wait to have my own garden and yard again
16. Family dinners - although loud and crazy I miss them on Sunday nights.
17. Wal-mart - a great deal for so little.
18. A big washer and dryer
19. Heaters inside the house - great idea you don't have to freeze inside your own house.
20. A great deal on clothes - clearance shopping at it's best!
By the time we got to LAX it was 10:30pm and Rylee was so tired. We made it to our gate and had to wait to board the airplane for the long flight to Sydney. Here is Rylee climbing into the box to check if your carry-on luggage is the right size - she fits so I guess I can carry her on the plane!

She was asleep as we headed up into the dark sky and thanks to the benefits of Benadryl she slept for most of the flight. We were lucky to sit next to a really nice lady who helped me out on occasion and talked with Rylee a lot. They gave me the window seat and left the one next to me opened for Rylee to sit in - that was a lifesaver! The flight was uneventful and really long.

After getting off the plane and going past the first customs officer - who made a comment about how much Rylee had grown up since her passport picture had been taken (remember she was only about three weeks old in her passport picture - how do they know that she is the same person?) - we headed out to get our luggage. The quarantine officer was walking around with his dog sniffing at people's bags as we waited. The dog came to our stuff and Rylee got so excited - not me because the dog stayed for a really long time and I knew that I didn't have anything bad in my bag. I was a little nervous but the officer asked if I had any bananas in my bag, to which I told him no but Rylee had eaten a banana on the plane and had probably wiped some of it on her blanket. He told me that the dog liked baby smells. Then he left. I also didn't really have to stop at customs they asked me if I had any food in my bags and I told them just some candy from the States. He told me to go on out without stopping and that was the end of that. We then headed out the doors and soon found the smiling faces of the rest of our family!

We tried to stay up all day, except a small nap in the afternoon, to counter act jet lag and remarkable when Rylee woke up at 5am this morning we felt lucky that it was that late and not 2 or 3am. We brought her in bed with us to see if she would go back to sleep - no luck - after Kev got up to get in the shower soon the other two had joined Rylee and I. I had missed our morning snuggles so much!

10 comments:

LaNae said...

You look a little tired but also so happy to be with your kiddos. It was so good to see you and spend the evening together. It was fun for the four of us (cindy, amy, me, you) to be together again and relive the old days. Can't wait till next time.
Love ya,
LaNae

The Brown Family said...

Stacy

I saw Cindy at the Scarecrow Festival. I'm so sorry I missed the get-together. I really wanted to see you and talk, but at the last minute I decided to go to my 20 year high school reunion, because my best friend was flying in from Michigan and I haven't seen her for years.

Email me if you have any specific questions or whatever.

I'm so glad that you are home with your family!

Kim

Lisha said...

Lovely! Good to see you home.

Luvnbnamom said...

I am so glad you two made it home safe and sound! I bet your other two kiddos are so excited to have their Mommy back! It was so fun to see you, I can't wait for you guys to move back! lol I can't believe how much Rylee has grown! I hadn't seen ehr since her passport photo was taken! lol She is a cutie!

Deb said...

Glad that you made it back to Australia safely. Sorry that I missed you...I will try harder next time, just too much going on at the moment.

superhey said...

I'm so glad to see you two got home safely. I know the reunion must have been sweet. I remember seeing the little faces after 8 days on the cruise and they so glad to see us. I can't imagine how 3 weeks felt! You all look so happy in these pics. It's funny the difference from when you leave and when you come back. You're really excited to visit but the truth is, there's no place like home...no matter where that is!!! Love you guys! It was great to see you.

Shelley Fairbanks said...

So glad you made it home safely. Thanks for putting Friends on the list as what, number 3. Friends truly make life more interesting.

Monica said...

Was really great to see you. Brought back crazy fun high school memories. Was like we hardly missed a beat. Glad your fam. is together again. Loves and kisses.

Unknown said...

Welcome 'back' to Oz, Stacy. Hope you survived well enough, Kev. Good luck with your adventures over the next year -- can't wait to see you all again.

Brandon and Julie said...

glad you made it home, it was super great to see you, and glad that family made the list at number 1. love ya